The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » GMA this morning (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Http://www.wowt.com/content/news/481419001.html

I saw this story on Good Morning America a few minutes ago. This is interesting if only for the possibility that lack of consent for minors could be more of an issue going forward.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is almost funny it is so uninformed.

IF hypnosis exists the most it can be considered is relaxing. There literally is nothing to it that could cause such an issue.

Now falling and hitting your head is another matter. That can happen and is very real.

The lack of concent issue is interesting you are right. When I did high schools I always have permission slips required for participation. I never understood why people don't do this. It is a simple liability issue.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
You may be better poised than most to answer this: Is it more difficult or expensive to purchase liability insurance as a hypnotist than it is as a magician?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No. It is not expensive at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Particularly when weighed against the potential cost of not having said insurance.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Falling down is the danger.

When you have 10x the opportunity for it to happen you would be nuts not to have it. Cost of doing business
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
From the fall on the news clip he didn't hurt himself. The hospital confirmed he had no concussion. People are affected for whole lifetimes and their behaviour and life view can be shaped by a single negative comment/suggestion given by a teacher or parent in a highly charged emotional environment. Hypnosis on stage is a process that amplifies emotions and suggestibility for entertainment. That can't be denied the argument whether it "exists" or not is irrelevant people are more emotional and they are more suggestible. So it is conceivable that some "side effect" can remain after being on stage. Falling down may be the main danger in terms of being sued because the other is much more difficult to prove in a court of law. But it is feasible that someone could have a problem from the mental aspect too.Proving it in a court of law might be a different story.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
The video in the news clip shows that this young man did not hit his head when he went down. Surprised that’s neither the hypntist nor the school required a signed consent form from the parents before the event.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Consent doesn't remove liability it just shares it.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
NightSG
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of NightSG
Quote:
On May 4, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:

IF hypnosis exists the most it can be considered is relaxing. There literally is nothing to it that could cause such an issue.

There is one thing I've noticed; I've done self hypno sessions a time or two while wired out on caffeine, either trying to ditch the jitters or just get a bit of rest. If I don't transition right into sleep, coming out of the trance is something like instantly crashing hard from the caffeine; severe exhaustion to the point where it's hard to get both eyes to focus at the same time, dragging blinks, difficulty focusing mentally - sometimes to the extent of short blackouts - and just generally feeling like I haven't slept in 36+ hours, even if it's really only been 16-24 hours. Sounds somewhat similar to what this kid's describing, and I doubt a tox screen would have looked for caffeine at less than a truly dangerous dose.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
This is a lesson for us all get and purchase liability insurance as a hypnotist or any entertainer dealing with the public!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
NightSG
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of NightSG
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, hypnoman1 wrote:
This is a lesson for us all get and purchase liability insurance as a hypnotist or any entertainer dealing with the public!

At this point, I'm starting to think liability insurance is needed just for existing. You could be sitting on a remote mountaintop avoiding humanity and someone would try to sue you for spoiling the view.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No doubt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » GMA this morning (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL