The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Where can I purchase 8 momme silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
So I have decided to make my own amazing 20th century silk set either a triple or double. So I am going to use rice diagonal rainbow silks for the odd silks that will vanish and reappear. And solid color silks for the outside silks. Im thincking 8 momme silks I have heard that 8 momme silks are good for this. Where can I buy 8 momme silks?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest, if you are looking for silks that will take many uses, then get a silk blend. One of the last dealers that sell blend silks is James
Rainho magic.

http://magiciansrus.com/PROPS.html

Hurry, as he is going to retire, and they may not be available in the near future.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
Thanck you booth this helped me
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Tecumilic,

Bravo for thanking those who helped you. To many helpful folks are never thanked or even acknowledged in any way.

P.S. Please use your spell check or re-read before posting.

-Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
By blend silks, I meant as in blending different materials, as in silk and rayon mixed, creating a tougher material.

A blendo is a magic effect, as in 3 silks bunched together becomes one large 36 inch silk.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I meant TOO many. LOL

-Mary
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I do make 8 momme silks and twenieth century silks. The reason you want the heavier silks is two fold. One to hide the hidden silk and two to take the strain on the fabric when you whip the silks out.

Contact me if I can help further.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Richard's work is of the highest quality and will be sure to please!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Hugmagic <Richard>, you do not have a PM icon, so I will ask here.

Do you make 12", 6 momme silks?
I need some in yellow for my new C&B act. Needs to fit into an XL Vernet, yet be opaque enough for a stemmed shot glass to be produced.

Thanks!
Malaki
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I make it. Not sure it will be opaque enough to cover the glass though.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
The silk that I recently bought at our last surviving magic store in Oklahoma City, is so see through that the bands of inlay in the wood are clearly visible with no back light. I need something that, when draped over the hand, the hand cannot be seen. The last 6 momme silk that I have barely fits into the TT - in fact I have to hold it on with the middle finger. If I need to, I have a fifth finger that I could adapt to fit the cups.

How much would such a silk cost? I am willing to buy one to make sure that it will work before I invest in a package of several, to make sure that I do not run short over the long haul. Unfortunately, our local maker of high quality silks, Joe Jacoby, has retired.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Malaki,

I know you sent me an email as well, so let me address that here. Getting a small silk into a thumb tip while being opaque enough for you purpose is a challenge.
Richard is correct and it may not be quite as opaque as you need even at 6 momme.

I would suggest using 8 momme and an alternate method of producing the silk such as the Al Baker silk from miniature cone in the Silk Encyclopedia.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
The royal blue silk that I was using is, according to Joe Jacobe, a 6 momme silk. I expect that, going with a yellow one, will possibly require me to upgrade to 8 momme, for it is easier to see through the lighter colored silks (I am going to yellow for the color contrast against my predominately blue garb, and the red balls). I have a fifth finger that will most likely do the job, but may need to be sanded down in length to fit within the C&B cup. That is OK, as long as it hides the stemmed shot cup until production.

Could you please send me prices on both? I am quite willing to buy one of each to see which will work the best, at which time I will be buying a set so that I can continue to perform this act for a while. The thin, non-opaque one from the local magic shop, even after washing out the sizing, is starting to separate after only about ten run throughs of the act. I would really like to get more milage out of the ones I will use, than that.

Thank you!
Malaki
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Where can I purchase 8 momme silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL