The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing this, flying that...AH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These aren't illusions. They are tricks. Illusions involve much larger props.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Some of Anton Coraddin's ideas are good, like the Lounge Suspension, but the Venus is not worth it, at least not at $500. I think it is silly. Pass it up.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2004-05-08 04:22, Bill Palmer wrote:
These aren't illusions. They are tricks. Illusions involve much larger props.

While these definitions are generally considered correct I wonder about the word "trick" versus "illusion" which has such a more elegant notion to it...I like the word illusion even when using it to describe close up magic...as in and now the world's smallest illusion and so on

as for the floating thing...I own animation sensation, impossible hank, dual method floating table and they all flow together because they use several different methods to achieve the same thing...the key with these effects, as with all, is that they need serious thought and serious practice/rehearsal...without both the effect suffers and the magic is muted...always practice way more than you think you need to and don't accept mediocrity...be honest with yourself about your magic and whether a routine/effect is ready for primetime...I recently attended a magic lecture by Eugene Burger and he quite insightfully noted that "...we're all drowning in magic tricks...the last thing we need is another one!" My read on this is that while we all enjoy a new and exciting effect we are all (including our audience) better off selecting a small handful and then practicing and making these our own... so what effects really speak to you?
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Go with the Lite Flite and video. This trick will blow your audiences mind. Its easy to do (same as Fearsons cig trick, but uses a glowing ball). Check out the video demo at penguinmagic.com It really is a great trick.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Michael P. Lair has a nice deal with a small paper "beach ball." It looks nice in tight situations with "PAINS,"
POOF!
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Yeah I saw him demoing that at a recent convention, quite a nice little story to it

Tom
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Forgive me, guys...gotta jump in here with a few ideas...

1. Astrosphere. Not done the way it comes from the box...different hookup (One point). That way, you have freedom to drop the cloth and float the ball between your hands, before letting it back down to the stand on the table. That hook up is described in the book I'm going to post below.

2. Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick. I wish I could see someone do this. This is probably one of the prettiest floating effects, if you could pull it off. It's the last chapter of the book I'm going to post.

The book? "The I.T. Manual", by Ralph Wichmann. The Astrosphere routine is described on pages 15 - 20. Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick is described in the last chapter on page 85.

Find the book Here!

Sure hope this helps! Let me know what you think!

Doug
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I have to agree that, for stage, the Astro-Sphere is a great effect, but one must be careful of the lighting (Gunnite on the gimmick helps a lot!). I used it at a repeat show where we had a disaster (sabotage actually) with a Zombie ball the year before.

I started with it in a goblet with the cloth draped under the ball. I walked up behind it, took the two corners and (secretly hooking up) stepped back quickly enough so that the ball seemed to float on top of the cloth as I moved backwards.

The reaction was a gasp from the crowd and a startled "WHAT?!!" from my own Doctor who was front row, center.

Done well, this effect KILLS!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing this, flying that...AH (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL