The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic Castle Etiquette (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
What is the etiquette for guest performing magic while there? Can one treat it as a walk around situation and do stuff wherever there is a line or an empty table? Or is there a signup like an open mic situation? Or are there tables where folks are just jamming' all night?
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
There are designated areas where Members can perform impromptu. But Rules are changing, you might want to contact the Castle about Guest visitors performing where Members are designated to perform impromptu. The Castle does not seem to be open to a walk around situation working the lines, beyond traffic problems, another reason might be you step on someone's toes and do something similar to what is offered by the paid performers in the showrooms. As a Member, my feeling is that Guests should enjoy the shows, food, and drinks, and not look at a one-time visit as a performing opportunity.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't imagine wanting to do otherwise. Look at it as an experience not a performance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
I see your point, but the urge to do magic is strong. Plus if I just do ONE TRICK while I am there, I can say that I performed at the Magic Castle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well the Castle is not about you. Control your urges. If you are not a member it really is kind of not cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Got it. That's what I wanted to know.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
So, when would be the best time to go (August) - Friday night or Saturday brunch?
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
If you do a trick in the lobby at Caesars Palace in Vegas, can you really say with conviction you performed at Caesars in Vegas? Not sure that qualifies for your resume..
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
I agree. Totally an ego thing.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Friday night you'll see more performers, brunch is limited.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
We're going in the evening on Saturday. Only time that had spaces available.

I also heard that the Brunch featured children's performers.
RMV
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of RMV
I found my one visit to the Magic Castle to be a remarkable experience. I brought two guests. Dinner was good, the shows were great, but drinks in the bar was the best part. My friends kept bugging me to perform a trick. I looked them in the eye and told them that I was in too much awe of the magicians that we were surrounded by. I truly was! This is their club and I am a guest in their world. They had no idea who some of these folks are, but I was able to help them understand how wonderful it was to be surrounded by some of the worlds best. Would go again in a heartbeat.

Have a great time and hope you feel the magic I did!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A wonderful show of respect. Good for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
420 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2018, msmaster wrote:
There are designated areas where Members can perform impromptu. But Rules are changing, you might want to contact the Castle about Guest visitors performing where Members are designated to perform impromptu. The Castle does not seem to be open to a walk around situation working the lines, beyond traffic problems, another reason might be you step on someone's toes and do something similar to what is offered by the paid performers in the showrooms. As a Member, my feeling is that Guests should enjoy the shows, food, and drinks, and not look at a one-time visit as a performing opportunity.

This pretty much nails it.
Even for members there is no magic allowed in queues, at the bars, and strictly forbidden in Irma's the ghosts room.
If the staff see's you performing as a guest I'm sure they'll hurry over to tell you to stop immediately.
If you really insist on showing something to your friends, I would suggest doing it in the smoking area
outside of the Inner Circle. There is signage there and you'd be able to snap a pic of you performing
with the Magic Castle Inner Circle in frame.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Thanks Joker, I can't wait to see you again and spend some time with you, at the castle. Love you man.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic Castle Etiquette (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL