The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magica IV (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Larry was kind enough to send me three sample chapters from his new upcoming book Magica IV, Secrets from the Vault.

In and Out of Control is a very clever effect where the spectator and you shuffle packets from a shuffled deck. You and he exchange cards several times. You are able to accurately predict how many red and black cards he has. Works mathematically.

Uncontrolled has the spectator pick five cards which you insert face up into the deck. The deck is cut and face up and face down cards are mixed together followed by more mixing and the direction of the spectator. When the cards are spread, there are only five face up cards remaining which form a straight flush.

More That Remains is a self working blockbuster effect done with the magician's back turned. The spectator is handed a deck of cards and given specific instructions while the magician has his back turned or is blindfolded. The spectator cuts a random number of cards and places them in his pocket. He deals three piles from the remaining cards and stops when he has less than three cards left. He then removes that number of cards from his pocket and hands them to the magician. He repeats a similar process with 5 piles and then finally 7 piles. He asks the spectator to silently count the number of cards in his pocket and to deal cards off the deck and remember the card at that number. He drops that card on top of the deck followed by the dealt cards and the buries the cards in his pocket beneath the deck. The magician turns around and cuts the cards and asks the spectator to deal a specific number of cards onto the table. He turns over that last card and it is the spectator’s card. It's all based on the mathematics used in the effect The Arch of Sunzi.

I was told there are 30 chapters and more than 400 color photos which include coin magic and magic with other small objects.

He says the book should be published by October this year.

A temporary webpage has more info on the book at: http://www.barnowskymagic.com/MagicaIV.html

Paul
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Photography almost complete. The book should be available by early October
Seven other books still available at this site
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

All color photos completed. Will proofread and assemble chapters into book layout over next few weeks. About 160 pages and 30 chapters.
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
I know I'm looking forward to Magica IV 1-3 rock
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Finishing proof reading. Goes to printer October 1.
158 pages and 400+ color photos.

Larry Smile
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Aloha Larry,

So can I get in line for one of the low numbers like maybe #1? I'd really like it but if you are saving it for I get it and would be stoked with any low number (more for kicks -- I do like your books that I have gotten so far) -- anyhow looking forward to to the new book.

Your fan

farmerkarl

ps My bread and butter trick is making food appear out of the ground -- Yes it looks easy .....

pps PM me if there is something I can do secure one of those low numbers like pre order or something Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks Karl,
Check your PM box.
The pdf of the book is today in the printers digital hands. I expect a proof copy in a week and copies to ship in about 3 weeks or less if all goes right. Once I get the proof copy in my hands, I will begin to accept orders.

Larry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Some folks have ordered the book since my webpage was set up to accept payment through Paypal. I am not soliciting orders, but if you want to order the book and get it over with, I can accept payment and will ship your book ASAP. My printer estimates that the books should be in my hands by October 18.

More info here
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

The proof looks gorgeous. Beautiful glossy photos. Should have the books delivered to me by next week. Free custom gaff for the first 50 books sold.

Larry Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Shipping all pre-orders and any others received this weekend 10/20 and 10/22.
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Word on the email is my copy is on its way. Thanks Larry!! Looking forward to getting the book and a groovy gimmick as well.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Just shipped all the orders from the weekend.

Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Man, there's a lot of great new magic in this NEW book from Larry, and I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND every page of whatever is written and given this much creativity, professionalism and love by this fine Café member.

I've been curled-up in bed with this book the last few nights now, and just love it! Smile There's just so much in it as to good closeup work with cards and coins from a serious mind that's just having a lot of fun in all this. Smile The writing is refreshing, and I just love the photography as to every step...just so well-shot. It really adds to the clearer explanation of things. Smile

All of the Doc's books are chock full of good, interestingly original magic, and this new offer continues to hold its own and does not disappoint. Too many wonderful routines in this amazing book to pick any one effect just yet, but I'm sure a few will stand out even further...just excellent thinking and overall approach all the way through!

We truly are lucky to have this most magical doctor in the house, and through this latest work, Magica IV he continues to make personal house-calls as to you & your magic. Smile 🎩

www.barnowskymagic.com/MagicaIV.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks so much Mb for that post.
I'm including a custom card gaff for the first 50 orders for an incredible effect found in chapter 29.

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

You can now get Magica IV exclusively at Stevens Magic Emporium, or still directly from my website
The custom gaff is also included whether you order from me or Stevens.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Well I have read from cover to cover Magica IV and have to say there is more usable material in this book than I’ve seen in years. The color photos on the gloss paper are so professionally done with superimposed annotations for added clarity. Below I will describe 5 of the effects I really like and have already performed and one that I’m currently working on:

Shape-Shifting Cards: The four queens are removed from the deck. Four cards are selected and lost in the deck. The four face up queens are counted and displayed and one by one and each time they are counted one queen turns face down until all four are face down. The counting is repeated and one by each of the selected cards turns face up until all four are face up. When the deck is spread, the four queens are again found to be faceup.

The Jack of All Charades: Larry says that this is one of his “go to” effects. I can see why. Totally impromptu and lots of magical happenings. The four jacks are taken from the deck. 3 cards are selected. One by one each of the three face up jacks disappear leaving just the JS. The JS is placed in the center of the deck but returns to the top. This is repeated twice more with the same result. The cards are spread and the 3 selected cards appear face up as the deck is cut into 4 piles. When the piles are turned over the missing jacks are at the bottom of each pile.

More That Remains: Blackstone99 reviewed this and I agree this is a winner. They will never figure out how you tell them exactly where their cards is in the deck even though you can be blindfolded. Got great reaction from thus one.

Impromptu Entropy I and II: Can be done with any deck. Thirteen cards removed from the deck (one of each value) and thoroughly shuffled. Cards are counted and or spelled and as you do that the cards appear in numerical order ace through king. Very easy to do.

Shuffle-More: This is a powerful effect that reminds me of Aldo’s Predeckability but is much more complex than this. So many shuffles are done and at the end you predict the number of face up and face down cards and how many court cards there are and a selected card. The story in the script is very clever.

Invisible Coins and Cup Routine: I’m still practicing this. An awesome coin effect using a normal cup (from cup and balls). Three coins appear magically as the spectator hears them land in the cup one by one. Each of the 3 coins changes to a gold coin one by one. Then the coins change back to silver. These 3 coins then vanish one by one. One appears in the hand, one under the cup and one on top of the cup. Finally a lemon appears under the cup followed by a second. This routine is also on video on the 21st Century Coin Mechanics DVD. Everything well explained in the book.

David
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Love this book. Clear writing style with step by step color photos on thick glossy paper in a big (8 1/2 x 11 inch) textbook size volume. The card and coin magic in this book are exceptional. I agree that the Invisible Coin and Cup Routine is a perfectly constructed routine that has no much magic packed in it and a great finale. The patter is professionally scripted. I really liked Two for One which requires some basic sleights combined in a mathematical self working trick. The first trick in the book In and Out of Control is an outstanding opening or closing effect and totally baffling. Highly recommended.

BJ
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks BJ an David for those posts.
Magica I-IV also available as a set at discount. Note that Magica I is OOP. I provide the pdf of Magica Analytica I along with the three books (II-IV).
More info here at bottom of web page
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Ask for Cafe Special when ordering the Magic I-IV Set and receive a free custom card gaff for one of the effects AND a bonus antique silver dollar size Chinese coin.
Click Here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magica IV (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL