The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » NFPA 1126 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Hey guys,

I was skimming through my states statutes and administrative codes (not just for fun, my fire dept. had a legal question and I am usually the research guy). Anyway I saw something interesting, under the fire marshal section (428 in my state) there is a section specifically about licensing of magicians.

The gist is that if you use any kind of pyrotechnic you must take a test on the National Fire Protection Association standard 1126 (Standards for the use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience).

I imagine most states probably have this but unless you put on a magic show for the state fire marshals office they probably won't bug you about it. Just a little FYI. Might consider looking into licensing with your local state fire marshal's office if you want to do things "right."

-Dan
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
Wow! Thanks. I'll look into that.
Gary Smile
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
In Nevada there are probably more performing
magicians than any other state. Hence, over regulation. I keep reading about "Pyro" Liscensing. How do you get one of those?
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I use TNT fuses, for that you need a Class 3 liscense in Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure, at the time, I was told that that covered all pyro use in my show.

To get a Class 3 go to your city Gov't. building and request one, they will sell you one no questions asked....

....This could vary from State to State, so you might want to start off asking you city officials or call a lawyer in your state and ask them.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I am a professional Illusionist and I own a second company that provides pyrotechnic.
I was on the road with KISS and WCW/TNN Sports.

You will need various licenses/permits with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (ATF) and the State/cities where you live or are performing, and various other localities to allow to import, transport, store, buy, manufacture (mix) and display (shoot) all types of explosives involved in a pyrotechnic display.

You must have a permit from the local authorities having jurisdiction and must pull a permit from the local fire dept. and have schedule fire watch with the fire Marshal's office. That is to have the fire alarms shut off and a fireman on location.

You will need to provide a $1,000,000.00 Class "C" 1.4G Explosives liability insurance policy and that is required on all pyro shoots. This is a policy that is just for pyro and not a general liability policy. You will have to show your qualifications (bio)and show that you certified with NFPA 1126 national fire codes for Standards for the use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience. Showing Your Log Book of shows performed to the fire marshalls office and the related information of facilities and the MSDS for the effects. Heavy fines and arrest can occur for shooting with being licensed and insured. This can include open flame and smoke machines in some cities.

You need to follow National Life code 101, fire codes 1126 to pull a permit. The test is on the regulations for indoor pyro and is a 25-50 question written test. You can't not use Pyro unless you follow all of the above.

A TNT Fuses Class C liscence does not cover indoor pyro.

After 9/11 the fire marshalls office takes pyro shoots very seriously.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » NFPA 1126 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL