The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Super sight vs. color rods (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
There are a number of "divination" effects where the spectator is handed five colored objects and is asked to place one (four in the case of Super Sight) in a tube and hide the rest while the magician's back is turned.

I have read lots of praise for Super Sight. But what about the various effects using colored rods (or color-tipped rods) rather than disks? Are they just as good?

Also, is the principle for the rods the same as for Super Sight?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Anyone want to buy some slightly used Super Sights?
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
WR - I detect slight disappoint with Super Sight. Care to elaborate?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Umm... let's just say it does not really fit into my show or performing style. Excellent effect, but I am not using it so it is collecting dust..
WR
$5.00??
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Does anyone really think the spectator is "amazed" by this effect? Maybe the methods are intriguing to us, but effects like this and Killer Red Caps...c'mon, we can do so much better.
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
Not being a performing magician, perhaps my end goals are different. For instance, I have had good results with something called ESP Telepathy Cards which I use fairly often at informal gatherings. Although friends and family suspect there is a gimmick involved, they are always left baffled since everything is totally examinable. Not mentalism perhaps, but still impressive to those I've done it on. I suspect I would find Super Sight just as satisfying to perform, although postings suggest it can't be examined for too long.

By the way, I have taken WR up on his kind offer to sell his Super Sight. Now I've got to work on some patter.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
For what it's worth, I think SS is superior to color rods. The reason? With SS the spectator KEEPS the chosen color and simply returns the others in a container. There should be much less heat on the returned container than on the color rod container with the chosen rod inside.

As to gkfreed's comments: I agree. I think we magicians are intrigued with the method on these things which really is diabolical. My solution is that I never use SS as an effect in itself. I use it as part of something bigger and make it just a method for secretly choosing a color (e.g., of a deck of cards that will be used or a book). If you use these tricks just to later tell what color the person has chosen I don't think you'll have much of an effect.

Gianni
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
I personally think supersight is a great trick. I've done it many times for 1 person. it has payed itself back as being a puzzle. for instance I give $7.00 if you can figure it out, if not you have to give me a $1.00.
only person has figured it out. I only showed it to him once and he did it to 3 time in a row. he only had it like 2 min with it too.
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
In general, how difficult is SS to figure out?

And what is the maximum amount of time you would generally allow a spectator to examine it?

What percentage of people do you think can figure it out?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A good idea is to use the super-sight-type of effect as the integral part of a one-ahead routine (instead of forcing a card).
You'll be pleasantly surprised at the impression this simple routine will have on people. Try revealing the names of first boyfriends or the first car they owned, etc. as part of the routine. You'll find you'll have a tough time following up this "masterpiece".
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello

I took an engraving tool (available from most hardware stores) and did some custom design work on my Super Sight. It made it nearly impossible for the spectator to figure out unless you know exactly what to look for. I also start the routine using the brass box as simply a storage box for the discs. For the first two predictions I use just the discs and an equivoque selection (discovery). As I am about to put the discs away and as an afterthought I ask the spectator to place one disk in his/her pocket and to put the others away (in the brass box) while I am out of the room…

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
PS: If you are interested in Super Sight please PM or e-mail me for a SUPER Super Sight deal.
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I have a cheap version of this effect with five small, colored rods that fit inside a narrow brass tube. I think I'm going to upgrade to a Viking version because I'm getting sick of trying to convince people that that little dot near the bottom of the tube is just a manufacturing defect.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2005-07-18 18:45, Antony Gerard wrote:

I took an engraving tool (available from most hardware stores) and did some custom design work on my Super Sight. It made it nearly impossible for the spectator to figure out unless you know exactly what to look for.
Antony Gerard

I did the same thing.

GWSchott, even if you get the Viking version, you will have the little dot.
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I've performed Viking's "Transmental" many times, to great reactions. I honestly believe this is one of those effects that's 40% prop/60% presentation. Performing it solely as a "pick a color" robs it of it's potential as a faux scientific "experiement".

Regarding Super Sight, I've always preferred the "Disk Escape" version instead.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 00:29, GWSchott wrote:
I have a cheap version of this effect with five small, colored rods that fit inside a narrow brass tube. I think I'm going to upgrade to a Viking version because I'm getting sick of trying to convince people that that little dot near the bottom of the tube is just a manufacturing defect.

Ditto.
Haven't used mine in years.
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
Super sight question: Do you need to use all 5 discs?
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
To discover the chosen disk the performer must have ALL the unchosen ones in the container.

I use this with disk escape. the spectator does not look at which disk he has chosen until after a disk escapes from the cord. "affinity of colors" reveals the identity of the unviewed disk.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
I know this is an old thread but here is my presentation for Super Sight. Take it or leave it (two people needed) ...

I explain that the discs and its container were found in an ancient pyramid in Egypt. It was passed down from generation to generation and finally to me. It is said that they have mystical powers and that the person holding the discs are able to influence the decision of others. The more discs you hold and the greater you concentrate, the greater the affect you have on another. Only the brass container can be used to lessen the effects of the disc's power.

I instruct person A to select a color and place all the other colors into the brass container thereby shielding the power they exert. Person A does so while my back is turned. I select and chat with person B as this is done.

After person A has hidden the remaining discs in the brass container, I retrieve the pouch (that originally held the set) and place the container into the pouch, and hand it back to person A.

I then take out a small packet of cards and explain that person B will select any one of the cards in my hand while person A attempts to push the color of their selected disc into person B's mind.

After briefly showing the colors on the faces of the cards I then proceed to shuffle the cards and then deal then one by one. At anytime person B can say stop.

After person B says stop, the selected card is given to person B to hold.

I instruct person B to call out the color on the card. I then ask person A to reveal the color on the disc.

By the way, I love science fiction and you can tell from how I present many of my effects

"My two cents. Don't spend it all in one place"
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Super sight vs. color rods (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL