The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Summer Clothes For Shows (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
What are your thoughts about these two outfits for Summer gigs? I bought several shirts in the style on the right, in various colors and had the Tony Thomas logo embroidered on the chest. Any feedback?

Click here to view attached image.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Hey Tony, I actually came on here today to see what people were saying about summer clothes and kids parties. I've only done a few shows and have a show next week outside where the temperature will be very hot. I'm going with dark jeans and a black t-shirt with the head/face of Gargamel on the front. I like it and feel comfortable in it. My wife says its fine but it personally I worry a bit that too many people in my area of the world think of Magicians in the traditional outfit... Regarding the outfits you posted, I'm not a fan.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Tony, I think they look good on you. You can pull that style off, myself, since those shirts are not like anything I wear, I feel I would look odd. As long as you’re comfortable in them, they work well for you.
0wen
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of 0wen
Almost every juggler or balloon artist I know wear a bowling shirt style like that in the summer. I do the same when doing those, but keep my magician in character - I lose the vest and jacket on hot days however...
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
I usually pack a gig into whatever jacket I'm wearing, but in the Australian summer with 30-40 degree days, jackets are just impossible!

What I've found cheap & useful are those stretchy zipper running belts. Depending on the design you get, you could quite easily fit 3 decks of cards!
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
When performing outside during the summer I usually go with the plain white shirt and rolled up sleeves, clear suite trousers and loafers.... classy and cool
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, Luke Wolf wrote:
When performing outside during the summer I usually go with the plain white shirt and rolled up sleeves, clear suite trousers and loafers.... classy and cool

That can be a good look. Or if need be for a bit more formal look, the classic linen suit which is traditional for summer wear.

If the venue is casual enough and it is suitable for your style the bowling shirt or the Hawaiian shirt option works.

I would still tend to subscribe to the philosophy of the performer dressing "up". But I realize it can be brutal in the heat for outdoor shows. (I live in Florida)

Men's fashion sites have tips on wearing a suit in hot weather, for example:

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/wear-suit-in-hot-weather/

"This article is brought to you by Thompson Tee. Their revolutionary lightweight and breathable sweat proof undershirt is designed with Hydro-Shield sweat-proof technology, meaning you’ll never have to worry about embarrassing underarm sweat marks again."

The Thompson Tee sweat proof undershirt is a good product. (any time of the year , but especially in hot weather)
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
Here's a new thing I've done for the warm summer smart casual evenings...

I just cut off the sleeves off my old button up shirts & wear my tie a bit loose, with my jacket on top. When it gets too hot, I make the "nothing up my sleeves" joke & take my jacket off, showing my bare arms & just continue with my jacket hanging off the back of a chair for a bit... =P
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tony Thomas,

The only thing that looks out of place is the pants. Fine until you get to the knees, then they look to tight around the legs. It would be better if they draped fuller form the knee down and probably cooler to let in some air. then they would not look out of place and match the shirt draping down.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well, these pictures are from 2 1/2 years ago and at that time, the style may have been alright. I'm not a fashion expert but current fads do play a part in selecting outfits. I think the point here is not the exact style but the idea of wearing short sleeves in the summer. The only comment I would have is that the shirts in the photos do look a little more like bowling shirts but if they worked, then that's fine.
Where the magic begins
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just do a google search for Filipino Wedding Shirts. You'll see some nicer options for those hot days.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Seersucker is a great cloth for the summer. That way you can keep the jacket if needed. Also Bonobos' Unconstructed Italian Wool Blazer is really cool wearing during the summer months as well.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Danny Hustle wears a striped blazzer from a costume shop. These are mad of light fabric and are unconstructed and unlined. White trouser made for kitchen workers.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A few months ago, I bought a couple of performing shirts from hardaddy.com . They breathe well and the quality is nice.

Don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets to keep shirts breathable. Dryer balls are okay. With lightweight synthetic shirts, I often dry them on a hanger.
Michael G Taggert
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Michael G Taggert
I'm dropping in a year after this thread. Summer is tough. As an outdoor performer you really can get seriously over heated. After years in the Renn circuit wearing velvet and corduroy along with tights. I think I can give a few tips. Get clothes that fit well and are made of natural fibers. Dress in layers. Air flow is what is key. Also wear a hat out side. When you get hot, an ice gel pack helps. Natural fiber allows you to get wet occasionally I occasionally the water evaporated will keep you cooler. I'm not talking dunking booth wet but wet towel on the neck wet. And eat a pickle. You'll thank me.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2023, Michael G Taggert wrote:
And eat a pickle. You'll thank me.

Is that the reason why there are 'King's Pickles' vendors at the Ren Faires? To help with hydration?
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Wravyn yes in deed. I learned the hard way I was baked in the spring sun at a fair. My stage got sun from mid morning untill just before closing gate. And I was eating fire. 85 doesn't sound hit untill your 12 hours in and you've stopped sweating. Also vegetable juice.will help as well. While water is essential so is minerals.and a hat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Summer Clothes For Shows (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL