The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » (R)emote by Francis Girola (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
More than a marked deck of ESP cards, (R)emote is a mentalism powerhouse that enables you to give remarkable and engaging demonstrations of clairvoyance and remote viewing.

Designed to look like a genuine test of extrasensory perception, (R)emote gives you the ability to divine symbols, colours and pictures of locations from all around the world.

Extremely versatile and easy to use, (R)emote is a pack of Zenner cards on steroids which comes complete with over half a dozen original routines destined to amaze and involve your entire audience.

Moreover, set to become your go-to ESP deck, (R)emote can also be used to perform the effects you already have in your repertoire.

Nevertheless, the considerable potential of this deck is yet to be fully explored. (R)emote is a tool that provides endless possibilities which you are bound to discover for yourself as soon as you get your hands on it.

WHAT YOU RECEIVE:

35 tarot-size cards on high quality card stock with a textured air finish conceived with the professional mentalist in mind.

This format is perfect for parlour or stage performances. However, the deck can also be used in close-up environments, as you can easily slip it inside your pocket.

The stunning layout of the cards was designed in association with Phill Smith, who created an ingenious dual marking system that is completely invisible to the audience and yet clearly visible to the performer from up to ten feet away or directly from a spread. If you are already familiar with Phill’s work in that field (e.g. 'DMC Elites', 'Creative Solutions'), you know how truly deceptive his markings can be.

(R)emote comes with a downloadable 40-page instructional manual detailing several routines. Additionally, you will also have access to four performance videos and a private Facebook group where mentalists can share brand-new ideas of effects and presentation with the deck.

A SNEEK PEAK AT THE MAIN EFFECT:

(Please note that the following routine DOES NOT make use of the marks in any way. Therefore, the performer could stand on the other side of the stage or even be blindfolded during the entire demonstration.)

The performer takes a card out and leaves it in full view of the audience, sight unseen. From this point onwards, the routine is totally hands-off and the cards are shuffled by one or two spectators.

Phase 1:

A volunteer takes the mixed up pack and turns over the top card. This person is instructed to focus on the ESP symbol solely and to try and mentally send that thought to you, the mentalist. You manage to guess the correct one right away.

This process is repeated a second time: the volunteer turns over a second card and is asked to concentrate on the colour of the symbol in order to imagine a landscape with that colour. You miraculously give an accurate description of the image that the spectator has just made up in their mind as well as the colour that was originally selected.

Finally, a third card is turned over. After correctly divining geometric shapes and colours in the previous rounds, this time you decide to up the stakes by trying to obtain a full picture. Therefore, you set out to get a sense of the location that the spectator is looking at.

(No force, no fishing or pumping of any kind, no peeks, no marks, no sleights...)

Phase 2:

The whole pack is now turned over and the top six cards are handed out to several members of the audience. You can instantly name all the elements comprised on each selected card, one by one.

Phase 3:

After successfully demonstrating your powers of telepathy and remote viewing, you now involve your entire audience at once in order to test who are the most intuitive people in the room. You ask everyone to think of a symbol, a colour and country. You then bring all the attention back to the card that you had taken out from the outset. You turn it over and reveal, by show of hands, that the majority of the audience has somehow managed to guess the elements contained on that card.

ORDER YOUR (R)EMOTE DECK NOW TO UNLEASH ITS FULL POWER!

US: https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=62595
UK: http://arcanearts-ltd.com/remote/

TESTIMONIALS:

"What a wonderful routine... I like it a lot! Very well executed and deceptive too."
Banachek

"A parlour show in your pocket that drags E.S.P. routines into the modern era. Easy to use, yet surging with power."
Paul Brook

"Not only are the cards stunning and beautifully designed, the main effect is also absolute genius. It genuinely fooled me!"
Mark Chandaue

"It's simply brilliant!"
Dr Todd Landman

"Francis Girola's (R)emote is absolutely fantastic. By now you'll be aware that I absolutely love anything that involves revealing countries so this for me was a no brainer. The cards themselves are beautifully designed and look like a modern set of ESP cards. What I love most about this effect is that there are so many possibilities with it. It's not just one effect, it's a tool with multiple reveals. After his awesome release IceBreaker I honestly thought Francis couldn't possibly do it again. But oh boy has he!!!!! I love everything about this effect. Well done Francis you have another winner here 10/10."
Reese Goodley
MF Tom
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of MF Tom
It's now available at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products......s-girola

The cards are awesome and the routines are very nice. Needless to say you can come up with tons of ideas with the places and / or the colorful ESP symbols its really easy to combine it to other mentalism routines.

I can highly recommend it! Smile

Best,
Tom
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Would love to see a performance of the described 3-phase routine.
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Here are two different performances of the main 3-phase routine:

(Stand-up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya5mILz9YB4
(Close-up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=CtnMYZv0c1Q

And here is a different effect that can be done with the deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdwM01UsWhI
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2018, Svengali83 wrote:
Here are two different performances of the main 3-phase routine:

(Stand-up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya5mILz9YB4
(Close-up) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=CtnMYZv0c1Q

And here is a different effect that can be done with the deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdwM01UsWhI

Considering this supposedly can be done blindfolded from the point at which he removes the final card, it seems odd that he is staring EXTREMELY intently at how the completely NON-random mix is done in the parlor version and is setting up for a completely NON-random mix in the close-up version. This basically sets up everything else and just in case something does get put into the mix, there is plenty of fishing going on.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think you are being a bit harsh, sure he does glance at the spectators when they perform the riffle shuffle as any sensible performer would. I would t calling it staring or extremely intently. Whilst the ruffle shuffle is not the most random shuffle it is generally accepted by laymen as a fair way to mix cards and the shuffle was performed by the spectators and the performer never touched the deck. The close up version is really no different from a ruffle shuffle but looks even fairer to the average layman.

I did not see any fishing. Sure he did tell them to say yes to each question but this is a presentational angle not fishing. The only bit even close to fishing was the final reveal with the hot country and water, again simply presentational throwing in a few hits before revealing the card.

There is no supposedly blindfolded it can be performed blindfolded. When Francis performed it on me he did turn his back while I shuffled probably knowing he could trust me to follow his instructions. He then had me take the cards under the table so that marks were out of the question. Sure it was 3am at Blackpool but having shuffled the deck myself and everything being done under the table out of sight it did fool me.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
Considering this supposedly can be done blindfolded from the point at which he removes the final card, it seems odd that he is staring EXTREMELY intently at how the completely NON-random mix is done in the parlor version and is setting up for a completely NON-random mix in the close-up version. This basically sets up everything else and just in case something does get put into the mix, there is plenty of fishing going on.

If I may respectfully disagree, I believe you might be thinking too much like a magician. Although your comment was more of an opinion statement than an actual question about the effect, I will try to answer some of the points you have raised in order to clarify a few elements.

First of all, you mention that I was (apparently) "staring intently" at the deck during the mixing process, which would suggest that I might have used that moment to either obtain a peek or to shuffle-track the deck, which is NOT the case. If I did turn towards my participants, it was simply to ensure that they were following my instructions. The fact is that, once again, I could have indeed been blindfolded or I could have stood on the other side of the room the entire time.

Secondly, you keep stressing the notion of a "non-random mix" but the reality is that, as far as laymen are concerned, a riffle-shuffle IS as random as it gets. The same goes for the tabled shuffle, as most people out there are totally unaware of Paul Curry's ribbon-spread subtlety.

Finally, you state that there is "plenty of fishing going on", when in fact there is absolutely NO FISHING at all during this entire routine. You (the performer) know all the information required even before the very first card is turned over. The rest basically depends on your presentation. For instance, in the second phase, I could have revealed each and every piece of information displayed on the cards that were distributed in the audience, one spectator at a time. Alternately, I could have either done a tossed-out deck revelation or I could have just named the symbols, colours or countries.

Additionally, if I specifically designed (R)emote for this three-phase routine, please bear in mind that this is only one of the many different applications for the deck. So, I hope to have shed a bit more light on the performance videos and if you have any questions about the deck, please don't hesitate to address them to me on here directly. It's always better than the impersonal third person. Smile
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Svengali83,

In this case, if thinking like a magician means thinking like someone that wants to know the reality of something I might buy, then yes, I'm thinking like a magician.

If it doesn't matter which of the cards wind up on top, so at around 2:33 of the stand up video when they riffle shuffle together, you could already be blindfolded and it wouldn't matter if they are very well interlaced or even which one winds up on top and you know everything from that point and would know even if you didn't see the shuffle happen and didn't know if, for example, it was done poorly and numerous cards from one side or the other wound up in a row, and you don't ever have to ask any questions to figure out if this might have happened, then I apologize.

Bart
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2018, barts185 wrote:

In this case, if thinking like a magician means thinking like someone that wants to know the reality of something I might buy, then yes, I'm thinking like a magician.

Hence the importance of asking questions instead of making statements. Smile

Quote:
If it doesn't matter which of the cards wind up on top, so at around 2:33 of the stand up video when they riffle shuffle together, you could already be blindfolded and it wouldn't matter if they are very well interlaced or even which one winds up on top and you know everything from that point and would know even if you didn't see the shuffle happen and didn't know if, for example, it was done poorly and numerous cards from one side or the other wound up in a row, and you don't ever have to ask any questions to figure out if this might have happened, then I apologize.

Bart

I can confirm that the above description is correct:

1) It does not matter which packet ends up on top during the shuffling process.
2) You could already be blindfolded. You do not need to see the shuffle.
3) It does not matter how well interlaced the cards are (obviously, I would not expect laymen to do a perfect faro).
4) You do not need to ask any questions whatsoever.

Francis
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
BREAKING NEWS: (R)emote recently got a 4-Star review in the latest issue of Magicseen Magazine.

"This is a chic offering from Francis Girola and it's the second item he has marketed using specially produced cards for a range of divination/memory effects (the first being Icebreaker). Another characteristic the two share is the absolute deluge of effusive praise from the mentalism cognoscenti poured upon their slender frames.

This is an entrant into the crowded genre of marked ESP decks. In fairness it is more than marked ESP cards, rather it's "a mentalism powerhouse that enables you to give remarkable and engaging demonstrations of clairvoyance and remote viewing... to divine symbols, colours and pictures of locations from all around the world".

Blimey. What that blurb translates as is a deck of 35 tarot-sized (5 by 3.5") Zenner-type cards, each of which contains an ESP symbol in various colours, a photo of a city from around the world, and the name of a country. The case and backs of the cards proclaim them to be 'ESP Research Centre Training Cards', with the requisite busy spacey designs. The card stock is the ‘granular air-finished’ associated with high quality playing cards, and the overall effect is, well, classy. Or rather, 'well classy'.

The all-important backs of the cards were designed in conjunction with Phill Smith, and reflects his likewise-well-thought-of DMC Elite marked playing card deck put out by Phill last year. As such they contain a marking system that is similar in approach to the DMC, although applied to the information on these faces, namely: ESP Symbol, Colour, Location, Country where that photograph was taken, as well as a small world map with a dot indicating the exact location. They are also one-way backs.

This means that just a glance at these very large, clear markings will instantly cue you as to at least three pieces of information on each card.

I found the markings slightly indistinct at first until I got the knack - a bit like those Magic Eye posters of the 80s that you had to 'tune into' for the hidden image to leap out at you, and thereafter you couldn't help but see the cues and wondered why those watching couldn't see the obvious for themselves.

So for your money you get a very nice prop that can be used close up, in parlour or on stage to give the impression you are 'divining' multiple information. Any workmanlike mentalist will be able to do something with that alone.

Then we get to the well-written and illustrated 39-page download manual. This not only explains the principle(s) in fine detail, but goes on to suggest a basic routine using the packet, getting you used to the handling in a comfortable application.

Confusingly, he then details his favourite routine with the cards, which does not make use of the markings on the rear! It is devilishly ingenious, as is anything to my mind when it bears the name Gilbreath Principle, but then develops through a 3-stage routine that is not far short of fabulous, making full use of additional hidden features of this deck.
Girola then goes on to explore different presentational approaches to this master routine, with nods along the way to the likes of Bob Cassidy, Chuck Hicock, Tomas Blomburg, Paul Curry, Andi Gladwin and Joshua Jay. A mighty roll-call of contributing ideas men.

If you have the performing nous to carry off this high-impact mentalism, you may find this could become a focal point of your act. Bob Gill

W_H_A_T_'S_ _H_O_T_:_ _The quality of the props; the ingenuity; the master routine.
W_H_A_T_'S_ _N_O_T_:_ _It will be a little too floury and complex for lighter tastes.

****"
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I'm very happy with this. Lot of fun, easy, quality cards, solid reactions, and carries small.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » (R)emote by Francis Girola (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL