The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Faro Exposed by Alfred Trumble limited edition (reprint) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Has anyone read the original book? Can anyone give us your opinion about the book. I’m interested in buying it.

From the Trick Supply advertisement.

$ 50
Written by Alfred Trumble and first published in 1882, Faro Exposed was a landmark book on America’s favorite crooked card game. It explains the origin, rules, and history of Faro, as well as the sophisticated methods used by card cheats to beat the odds.
Twenty years before Erdnase, Faro Exposed explained riffle stacking and gaffed dealing boxes, along with countless other subterfuges and sleights used to “get the money” in a game that was, until the rise of poker, America’s national past time.
Among the techniques described are rough, sanded, rounded, and stripped cards; gaffed faro boxes; dodges with alluring names like “The Coffee Mill,” “Squared Sights and Tie Ups,” “Horse Hair,” and sundry other card-sharping methods.
The author sums up faro’s crooked nature on page 47: “There is not in the United States to-day one single faro-banker who is willing and content to confine himself to the strict percentage of an honest game. They practice every trick, cheat, fraud, device, contrivance, skin and scheme known to the “trade,” save and except that which they themselves do not know. Nothing but the fear of detection will prevent them from taking every possible advantage of their customers.”
Despite its importance and focus, the book is virtually unknown today, due in part to the fact that only three copies have survived. (Not even the Library of Congress owns a copy of the original work.)
Now this deluxe, numbered, facsimile edition is available for collectors, scholars, and technicians alike.
With an introduction by noted card expert Jason England. A deluxe hardbound volume, 6 x 9″, with 98 pages in sewn binding, a full-color recreation of the original wrapper and all text digitally re-screened and enhanced. Illustrated with woodcuts. 500 copies available for sale.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I decided to buy the book. It seems no one in the Café has read it. It’s a limited edition of 500. I got 43/500. It’s a small hard cover book about 75 pages. Lots of old time illustrations. The book is not really a magic book. It was written in the 1800s and covers the history of a con game called the FARO game. It’s a gamblers card game and it’s fully detailed on the different ways it is played and how the con works. It’s a fun read. Not really magic but fun for magic and gambling historians.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

WayneBurrows
View Profile
New user
Palmerston North, New Zealand
72 Posts

Profile of WayneBurrows
Sounded a lot for a small book. But I saw an original edition recently sold for $24000.
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
496 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
It’s seems a bit much for a small book but it’s limited to 500 books only and truly is a fun read for gambling enthusiast and magic historians. I love the classic art in the book and interesting stories.
I wonder if the guy who paid $24,000 reprinted the book because since it’s limited to 500 books at $50 each that’s $25,000
In 1880 it was a paperback book for 25¢
This is the first time in hard cover I believe.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Does the book give any methods of how to perform the cheats and sleights?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Faro Exposed by Alfred Trumble limited edition (reprint) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL