The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Who is good at dyeing silks? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Hi guys. It is me again. I would like to have a 15 Inch Red and White Half Dyed Silk Set: https://stores.silkmagictricks.com/produ......set.html But I want the half dyed silk to be white and "black." Not white and red. I want to get it dyed like that so I can put it in my new routine. Does anyone know someone who is good at dyeing a 15 " and a 18" white silk diagonally half black?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can do it yourself with black silk paint.
https://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/dye......nts.html #829 Black. Stretch out your white silk over a frame made from cardboard or a picture frame. You can hold it on with masking tape. Draw a line diagonally across the silk using a black marking pen (Sharpie). Apply the paint to one half the silk, and let it dry overnight. When it is completely dry, remove it from the frame and iron the silk to fix the paint. Easy-peasy!

That's the same technique I used in my Avatar to paint one of the panels of the umbrella green (it was another color that I didn't want).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you very much, Jim. I just ordered it.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
MIke,
This is not as easy as it sounds. Let me see what I might have available or could make up for you? Drop me a regular email.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All kinds of silk dying with markers are explained on YouTube. There are fabric Markers to accomplish this. Learn a new skill, it is fun, and not very expensive.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Okay, I will experiment with it when it arrives. If things do not work right I will be emailing you, Richard. I did receive my second purchase of the Flito Flower from you today. Thanks.
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
I can happily provide you with some irregular solid color silks for you to practice with at a very low price.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
THAT'S a very generous offer!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wow, Ruth, you are so nice. But I already have a bunch of used and ruined silks to practice on. I appreciate your kind offer.

Thank you for shipping me the following at a quick pace:
Rice's Thru The Dye Tube book
Simplex
3 1/2" Club Size Utility Dye Tube
2 3/4" Pocket Size (Al Baker) Utility Dye Tube

When I need more silks, I know who to go to: http://www.silkkingmagic.com
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Thank you and glad you are happy with the above items! Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I first tried spray painting a 9" silk. The problem is the silk is too rough when it dries from paint.

Next I wanted to pour the dye in a paint brush container to try brushing the dye over other areas of a 9" practice silk. I dropped a line of black dye on my carpet as the dye runs down the bottle when I poured it, dropping from the bottom of the bottle to my carpet. That is when I said, "I knew I should have contacted Richard Hughes to do it for me." I sprayed all purpose cleaner over the stained area of my carpet. I rubbed it with a paper towel. The stained smeared. I stopped rubbing it. I sprayed bleach over the area on my carpet. I went to get a sponge. I wet the sponge. When I came back to the stained carpet area, the stain was gone. I went to get the bleach again to spray more on the area. I used the sponge anyway. Everything was clean, the stain was gone.

I experimented brushing some dye over the 9" silk. It looked good. I notice the dye absorbs a little on the silk when letting it set. I was satisfied. I decided to brush the dye diagonally on half of an 18" silk. When I was done I moved the silk to a different area to dry. I mistakenly put some spots of the dye on a few unwanted areas of the white silk. I sprayed the accidental dye spots with bleach. The spots seem to dissolve. I will let you know more of my project when the dye dries tomorrow.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I'm glad to see that you are learning from your mistakes as you proceed. Most mistakes are the result of trying to speed up the process of dying and drying. The answer to your original question, " Who is good at dyeing silks?" will eventually include YOU, but only because you dared to try and are willing to learn from your mistakes as you go along.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Following is a photo of the two 18" silks I dyed within 24 hours. The one on the left is the first 18" silk I was working on. After I bleached it to remove a few accidental dye spots it turned a rust color in certain areas. I made the 18" one on the right today. It came out good. You are right, Jim. I learn from my mistakes.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bleach will cause the silk to disintegrate. So be careful. You can also get Dye remover from places on line. I should have told you that Black is one of the hardest colors to dye and get a good rich black.
I did not understand that you wanted a half dyed silk. I thought it was striped like a zebra.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Good work, and you got a nice smooth black. Have you pressed it with a hot iron to set the dye?

If you want to do one more, you might consider making a zig-zag pattern rather than a straight diagonal line across the silk. I know it's not the usual half-dyed silk design, but you're not the usual magician, either! Feel free to be different!

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
No, I have ironed it yet. I was so anxious to post it. Smile

Yes that is a good pattern that's different. But I will first work with the routine. I want to do it smoothly. I now have all the material. I have to get off my butt and practice more often.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike, you have learned a new skill, and now you are an artist, excellent for your 1st attempt.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Smile Thanks Bill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Who is good at dyeing silks? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL