The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Anyone using Simplex? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is anyone using the Simplex gimmick in their show? I did purchase it recently. The reason I purchased it basically to bring back memories. I used to have one in the 70s. I was not keeping up with it in the past because of the awkward moves. It feels good to have one again. I will play with it to see if I can adjust those moves, or add different ones.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike the handling is basically the same as the Palmo ball, nice feature is you do not have to do a turn over, as with the tape dye tube. It uses 12 inch silks, perfect for close-up magic presentations.

I don't know what you mean by awkward moves, when the hands are close to each other, the the finger extends into the fingers of the other hands fingers. Very quick and easy handling.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Ocassionally I will use my Simplex with 12" silks. I do exactly the same routine as with a Palmo and 18" silks. Handling differences are small, but of course require practice. Typically when doing color changing silks, I'm on stage so the larger 18" silks are more appropriate.

I considered using 24" silks, but didn't take the opportunity to buy the gimmick from Pop Haydn when he was here in Minneapolis. Now, at least when I last checked, no longer available ... Stupid me.

Hudson
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Duane Laflin sells an enlarged Palmo that will work with 24" silks.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I have 4... and use 1 simplex gimmick in nearly every show I do!

I don’t use it for silk dyeing... for that I use a Palmo.

Rather, I use it for a bare hand vanish of an (thin) 18” silk.

Both the palmo and simplex are great gimmicks: easy to learn, no moving parts,inexpensive to buy or make.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
An ordinary ping pong ball can hold an amazingly large silk - up to 24" if it is thin. I explore other Dollar Store solutions for silk gimmicks in https://www.magicnook.com/dollarstoreMagic/DollarTOC02.htm .
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I've never owned a simplex, but do own several of both of Rice's Palmos and Deluxe Utility Dye Tubes. I love the Palmos, but I must say that the Rice's Deluxe Utility Dye Tubes are probably the best value in Magic out there.......and they come in several sizes designed for different uses and silk sizes, and the quality and durability are unbelievable. Their Palmos are now made of aluminum while their Deluxe Utility Dye Tubes are made of brass.

For $10 each you can't go wrong. If I was doing a bare hand vanish as JNeal describes, I would most likely use a simplex, and Thank you JNeal for mentioning that you use a (thin) 18" silk, as Rice's product page for the simplex describes it being used with a 12" silk.

I THINK (I haven't tried it yet, but my gut tells me that it will work) that the Rice's Stage Size (5 inch) Deluxe Utility Dye Tube will hold a six foot silk.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I've been in touch with Daytona magic shop. They have a simplex dye tube with rolled ends. Should hold 2 X 16" silks. Has anyone got this simplex. Thank you. magicwalsh@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Anyone using Simplex? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL