The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » Deck of tarot themed playing cards I've been working on (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrdude42
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of mrdude42
TL;DR - I'm designing a deck of cards. What do you think?

Hey all,

I've been working on a deck of cards. Still trying to flesh out the main theme I want to go for but right now its sort of based on Tarot cards. Spades, Clubs, Hearts, and Diamonds are also Swords, Wands, Cups, and Pentagrams respectively like in a tarot deck. There's also 4 colors instead of 2. The idea is for this deck to also be the minor arcana of a tarot deck and later I can design a "major arcana expansion" deck that when combined with this deck would make it into a full tarot deck. The major arcana card in a tarot deck are the ones with names like "The Magician", "The Fool", "Death", "Justice", etc. The minor arcana are the 4 suits with the Ace, 2-10, and the court cards so that would be this deck. Maybe even will include a couple Major arcana as the Joker cards. Like "The Fool" and "Death" cards since most playing card decks have 2 jokers anyways.

I'm also playing around with a duality idea of each of the court cards having slightly different sides. One being normal and the other side being a bit rough or unkempt. This would make them not perfectly symmetrical which would also be good for using them as Tarot cards since a card being upside down means something different than if it is turned right side up. That's one of the reasons I went with the current diamond pip design that isn't symmetrical top to bottom.

Anyways, I'm rambling on now. So what do you think? Any critiques or suggestions on the design?

Here are some pics. Note these are still in development so a LOT can change. The text and font are all just placeholders at this point. The numbered cards pip arrangments are very much early stages as I'm still trying to decide how I want to do those. Also still need to create the card backs... Much work to do!

BillyAcre
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of BillyAcre
Very nice.
mrdude42
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of mrdude42
New Update. Thoughts?

(click image for higher resolution)
mrdude42
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of mrdude42
Update with the numbered cards included. Still struggling with choosing the colors. Aces still need a lot of work. Court card faces need color... Also still working on backs. 

(Click thumbnail to see full size version)
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
The deck looks great although I don't see the back design. People who use playing cards for game play appreciate 2 color pips instead of 4 colors.
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Ruckersville, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
I like what I see...would be interested in seeing what you do for the backs.
Tom
Amduat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Amduat
Very nice design and very cool idea with the big Arcana.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » Deck of tarot themed playing cards I've been working on (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL