The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » S.W. Erdnase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Ahh.. I KNEW you'd click on this title if Erdnase was mentioned. Smile

Anyways, do many of you card guys own the Expert at the Card table? I have a feeling many own it, but little actaully take the time to study the methods.

All of the shifts in that book (except the Charlier Pass) are unbelievable. I figure if you mastered this stuff, you'd be able to fool many magicicans who think the Riffle / Classic pass is the only one really worth watching out for.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Well, I haven't mastered all of the shifts, but this is still one of the best books on card technique ever published. I recommend Darwin Ortiz's "Annotated Erdnase" as the best version to learn from.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
And this might be an irrelevant comment, but I think The Annotated Erdnase is one of the best books of magic history ever written.

--Christopher Carter
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Hi Scott,

You serioulsy mastered all the shifts? How long did that take? Even the one-handed erdnase shift? It would be great if you could obtain a webcam from a friend or something and start to record this stuff. I'd love to see it.

The one handed erdnase shift I think should be executed in a split second.

PS: I own the Annotated Erdnase, 2nd edition
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
No, that was a typo--it should have read "haven't" as opposed to "have." I have since corrected it.

I haven't mastered all of the shifts, because i don't need to for the type of work I do. But that in no way devalues the book.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Not only have I not mastered any of the shifts, but in simply attempting I have made them slightly harder for other magicians.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Ross Bertram said: "You know, the diagonal palm shift is a beautiful thing"

I love that move. It can be done while burned. Ditto for the bottom palm. The Legerdemain section houses much of the classic revelations.

Getting the Annotated Erdnase is a natural progression. Darwin Ortiz gives a balanced view on EATCT, identifying strong and weak points.

As for the shifts, I have not mastered them all because I would much rather entertain than work the shifts. As Ortiz points out, there are better, more recent methods out there nowadays.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Darwin also stresses that although some of the techniques may be dated, the psychology, motivations and the attention to detail are as valid today as they were in Erdnase's time.

I highly recommend "the Annotated Erdnase" for some great additions to this book. Searching for some of the sources that Darwin lists is half of the fun.
ME
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
440 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Except the Charlier pass ? mmmmmm.....master this as did Marlo and you will eat those words. I too disregarded this move until Marlo baffled me with it. Check out his vid "Private Studies" or his work on this in Hierophant before you are badly fooled by it too.
So much to do. So little time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » S.W. Erdnase (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL