The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane, RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I know he's probably not too well known here, but Marty wrote and sang lead on several Airplane and Starship songs in the 60's and 70's, including "Volunteers" and "Miracles".

Marty Balin, gone at 76.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Great singer, and he’ll be missed. Starship recorded one of my songs with Grace Slick singing the lead, but in the “out” chorus Marty contributed some fabulous ad lib parts, which lifted the song for me personally.

Also liked his vocals and writing on many other Jefferson Airplane and Starship albums, including one of my all time favorites entitled Bless Its Pointed Little Head, recorded live at the Fillmore in 1968.

RIP.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to the front of the line (going over the cliff). I remember like it was yesterday, my friend came back to Ann Arbor from the Human Be-in in San Francisco with some Owsley acid tabs and Jefferson Airplane Takes Off. I made it out there by March of that year. I was just beginning to peak when Jack Casady's bass came rumbling through the speakers and Marty Balin started singing. This was before Grace Slick joined the group, replacing the pregnant Signe Toly Anderson. Bless ALL our pointy little heads!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
"I saw you... comin' back to me." I remember him singing it in Golden Gate Park while Grace played the recorder. Just a duet. Very vital member of the Jefferson Airplane.Marty will be missed. Grace, by the way, had an art gallery showing in Sausalito. Lynn
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Wow- I'm jealous.

I never got to see Airplane, just Starship.

I like Airplane much more than Starship.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Saw Starship in 1984. A small arena with really good seats available at the box office the day of the concert. This was before Mickey joined. Must have been just before because Kantner Balin and Slick were all there. It wasn't a great show as far as effects or such goes. They basically did a "greatest hits" show, but I enjoyed it. Oddly the highlight of the show was ex-Doobie Brother Michael MacDonald who performed a solo opening act. He knew how to work the audience.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane, RIP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL