The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2004 entrée: Dan Harlan » » Step Outside » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
After a while in magic it becomes difficult to remember what it was like to be fooled by something simple. All of our concepts are simple. Mastering them may be difficult, but the best methods are pretty easy to grasp. I suggest revisiting all of your effects with a fresh perspective. Don't judge it from your side of the equation -- instead "step outside" of the trick. Try to remember what it's like to "not know" about the move/method. What does it look like when you're not inside? How can you enhance the illusion that is perceived externally? If you spend too much time inside, you begin to think that it's important. Actually, the most important part is the outside. That's all your audience should ever see.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oh, man, is that important. I look back fondly when I was fooled by the Ambitious Card and the Famous Pop Up move from Expert Card Technique. I couldn't wait to get the trick deck to do this. And when I found out the method, my jaw dropped ( for real ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What you mentioned, Dan, is really a fresh way of looking at one's own magic. If one can achieve what you described, then no doubt, our magic should be much more interesting engaging to the spectators. So, how do I DO what you described? How do I see my magic through new eyes? How do I once again feel the wonder? I was hoping you had some suggestions on how to achieve what you described.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
The easiest way to do what I describe (for me at least) is to envision the effect as if it is real. As if there is no method. As if it just happens without any help from me or anyone else. Forget the method entirely. It does take a bit of concentration, but really, aren't we supposed to put some effort into this?
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I see what you are saying. Know what? I believe I can DO that! Seriously! In fact, it sounds like a lot of fun!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
The next step is to strive to make your methods so smooth and incidental that the resulting effect for the spectator's is as real as you imagined it to be.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2004 entrée: Dan Harlan » » Step Outside » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL