The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vernon 3 stepped control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cristo
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of cristo
Just for curiosity, I am wondering if anyone can identify a control I've seen. It was attributed to Vernon.

A selected card is shown and placed into the deck outjogged. Part of the deck is slid from underneath and placed on top, injogged. The result is (apparently) a deck that is jogged into 3 "steps".

The portions are then slid together and recombined, "losing" the selection, which has of course actually been transferred to the top.

Can anyone identify this control, or the effect(s) in which it appeared?

Thanks - -
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
If memory serves correctly, and if I'm understanding your description, Harry Lorayne uses this in his Ambitious Card routine in CUCM (minus the three-step tableau). It's a clever sequence and I've always been curious about its parentage.
cristo
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of cristo
I'm not sure if that is exactly the same...but it does look pretty close as described on p. 58 of CUCM!

I should have said the selected card (actually a double) is shown and then inserted outjogged into the deck.

When the lower portion is slid back and removed, the face card of the double comes with it, leaving behind the back card of the double still outjogged. So it appears that the outjogged "card" remains where it was placed, but actually the (selected) face card of the double goes to the top.

Hard for me to describe well.

I don't know exactly what it is - I saw a Vallarino video where it was called Escalier du Vernon (Vernon's staircase.)
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
There's a reference to it in Royal Road, Part 4 of the Ambitious Card Routine. It doesn't specifically reference selling the image of three steps before squaring things up, and there's no credit given.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vernon 3 stepped control (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL