The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apate by Raphael Macho (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......l-macho/
Saw this on Vanishing Inc. Wondered why no talk of it yet? It looks like some tried and true moves strung together for a pretty entertaining 10 phase routine. I am wondering if any of the sleights are more difficult than a striking vanish (which there are many great teachings of already).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Just saw this too... love the simplicity of the plot...but yeah reviews would rock...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Apate – First impressions review.

Official product description:
“Magic download (video) by Raphael Macho (£8.50)
Apate is something Raphael has used in front of real audiences for years. He initially started on it way back in 2014. We're delighted he's finally happy to release this routine to the world. Here's the effect: a coin and a pen continually switch places, disappear and reappear in crazy locations.
Visual, close up magic at its finest. The only things you need are one pen, one coin and one jacket. No gimmicks are used in the routine. The instructional video is over twenty five minutes long and even includes some variations as a bonus. If you like coin magic sleight of hand, you're going to love Apate. This is real world, audience tested eye candy at its best. “

My thoughts/first impressions:
I’m a big fan of the pen/coin plot and have a well practiced and used routine that is derived from the work of Rune Klan, Rick Merrill and more recently, Tom Crosbie/Matthew Wright (from the Marvellous Pencyclopedia). I like to explore a variety of work on plots I’m interested in, hence picking this up.
The trailer does not show the routine, however this is good as otherwise it would be fairly easy to reconstruct.

Download and teaching quality:
It’s okay. I would have liked to have seen a full performance(s) to an audience, but you only get a run through in Raphael’s bedroom and the camera angles/quality is not great – but it does the job.
The explanation is filmed outside with better lighting and visibility, as well as some shots from the performer’s perspective. Overall, the teaching is reasonable, but not of ‘studio’ quality.
Sleights are covered, but only briefly, so perhaps best avoided by the novice unless they are prepared to work hard and do some research. A few crediting references are in the closing titles/credits.

How practical/interesting/unusual is the routine:
The routine is good – I was surprised by some of the new or unexpected moments it had. There was one phase which I do not recall having ever seen before which looked fun.
Raphael does not discuss the angle limitations of the routine in any depth – not a problem for an intermediate magician who actually performs for real people, but if you don’t (perform much), there are a few phases that need careful angle management and some thought about where people are. It is not knuckle busting, but is an intermediate sleight of hand routine.

Overall thoughts on the product and value:
Although the download was not long and lacked depth/production quality in places, the routine certainly has enough content that is unusual/different to make it worthwhile.
I will certainly be looking to work on and incorporate one or two of the phases in my own routine which has been unchanged for a year or two now. More importantly (for me), this product made me think and has inspired some practice of ‘new’ things which means that I feel like I have got value from it. Good job Raphael.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Finally grabbed this one up. Pretty cool modular effect for the seemingly low price ($10 as Instant Download). No knuckle busting moves really and the modular phases can be changed or left out entirely if you choose. If nothing else, it will add some cool “quickies” to your repitiour or a full routine that takes almost zero pocket space.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......l-macho/

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Finally grabbed this one up. Pretty cool modular effect for the seemingly low price ($10 as Instant Download). No knuckle busting moves really and the modular phases can be changed or left out entirely if you choose. If nothing else, it will add some cool “quickies” to your repitiour or a full routine that takes almost zero pocket space.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......l-macho/

I agree with PD here, this is a really nice little routine. Nothing too difficult that some good practice won't take care of. But the overall routine is filled with many good turns to it, very interactive & fun, and what's nice is that it's modular so you can pick a little or a lot of it and still amaze people with bits & pieces. Some good ideas in there and loads of nice presentation to it. It's just a nice routine with just a coin & a marker that you can make your own...a reputation maker for sure. Smile Definitely worth a good look-see, and you can't beat the price! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
To be honest, what really caught my eye on this one was some similar parts from a routine I have done for years with a 3" Jumbo Penny and an "Adam's Rubber Pencil". My routine is not long but when I saw how much more great stuff could be added by using the 3 simple props (Coin, Sharpie & Jumbo Coin) I had to at least give it a serious look. I am glad I did. I am also pretty surprised this flew under the radar for so long.

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Apate by Raphael Macho (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL