The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Preparations for an Upcoming Performance or Two (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Not a fan of the music idea. To each his own.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
The jumbo cards are a particularly good idea because the audience is a 60+ retirees' club. The music is also a good idea, though it doesn't suit my minimalist approach: I would need to bring some sort of sound system.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Mike, I understand your point of view. But I think it would go well with Shaun’s style.
Shaun, you can speak during your silent sequence, find something which can go with your actions. Maybe on the theme of a deck of cards being an instrument, like music ones…
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I think the patter and everything looked great. Your delivery in ways reminds me of Francis Menotti, which is a compliment since I enjoy the way that he presents magic.

Just to point out a few items that I didn't necessarily agree with from other people's suggestions:

1. Tell them you're "shuffling the deck" vs. "warming it up/tuning it" - My perspective on this is that it draws unnecessary focus to say flat out that you're "shuffling the deck." What I mean by that is that they can see that the cards are being shuffled and you stating that they're being shuffled may raise questions in the back of people's minds as to whether the cards are being legitimately shuffled. In essence, I just don't think it's necessary to state the obvious, similar to when we display a normal deck of cards to spectators; we don't need to say "here we have a normal deck of cards" since it raises doubt in their minds, so it's best to just perform the action without drawing attention to it. So, I like the way that you phrased it by not explicitly saying that you're shuffling the deck - I like your choice of words.

2. Modify your patter so that it doesn't have odd explanations for why the magic is occurring - I agree in some ways with this, but I would argue that it really depends on your audience. For a room full of engineers/analytical spectators, I would agree that it may make sense to eliminate the "fluff" since from my experience, analytical people such as engineers couldn't care less about the story - they prefer that we get right into it. This also works pretty well for informal magic performances.

However, from what you've described, this will be more of a formal type of show for 60 something retirees, so I think the patter may be suitable for this environment, but you'd probably have a better handle on that than we would. In my opinion, your patter is fine and helps add a layer of deception since there are some people who may actually believe that there's some truth in the explanations as you provide to your audience. Since this seems to be a formal show, I would go with it.

My one criticism would be to brush up on your bottom deal to minimize the finger flash, but yours will fly in performance. Overally though, very nice job on the video, and best of luck with your show! Smile
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Hi Jaybs,

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. It's good to have comments from multiple perspectives because it helps me learn what aspects are a matter of style. I've come to see the patter with false explanations fits my style so long as it's done tongue in cheek or even a knowing smile. The tone I am striking is that, "Of course this is bull&*#% but I am telling you it anyway because that's fun." Some people in the audience might actually believe it, and the skeptical ones will known that I am just messing about with false narrative. It's also a matter of degree; I want a hint of a false explanation without creating too much confusion about the plot. This is going to be a tough balance to strike. When I hit it I think that it will lead to a show that keeps people guessing as I stay just one step ahead of them with both the effects and the patter story. It's going to take me a while to nail that balance, but that's where I am currently aiming.

Thank you for making me aware of Francis Menotti. We do have a similar style.

The bottom deal finger flash is a known issue of mine that I am endeavoring to reduce. I've gone so far as taking tutoring with Jason England a few times. As you say, it will fly for lay audiences, but I aspire to greater heights.

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I want to report that I did my first full rehearsal for the upcoming performance, and it went extremely well. Thank you all for the multifaceted feedback over the last few weeks!

I did film the rehearsal; unfortunately, there is a minor in the film, so sharing it with the Café is not appropriate, because privacy.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
This is another full rehearsal (this time without minors in it).

Thank you again for those who provided feedback. The show is coming along nicely.

Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2018, shaunluttin wrote:
This is another full rehearsal (this time without minors in it).

Thank you again for those who provided feedback. The show is coming along nicely.

Hey Shaun,

Glad to hear the rehearsals are going well. I watched the video and I would agree that the show is coming along nicely. Your patter delivery is spot-on and the audience seems to really be enjoying your performance. On an unrelated note, nice haircut!
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
That was very good. No advice, I will merely share these sage words I just read in a 1934 magic book talking about psychology and audience management:

"It is extremely essential to the successful magician that he sizes up every person in his audience. Look out for the man or woman whose eyes are close together. He or she is liable to be of a sharp or mean disposition, and his character would find pleasure in an attempt to spoil your trick. If you want a confederate, pick some jovial looking person. If you want someone who will do exactly as told, pick a man or woman with a fairly well rounded chin"

I think if you follow these wise words then nothing can go wrong.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Jaybs and John7, thank you for the supportive encouragement. I appreciate that.

P.S. Jaybs, I'm continuing to brush up on the bottom deal. That sure is a challenging move! Right now I am practicing the Jennings Stud deal as part of that.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, John7 wrote:
That was very good. No advice, I will merely share these sage words I just read in a 1934 magic book talking about psychology and audience management:

"It is extremely essential to the successful magician that he sizes up every person in his audience. Look out for the man or woman whose eyes are close together. He or she is liable to be of a sharp or mean disposition, and his character would find pleasure in an attempt to spoil your trick. If you want a confederate, pick some jovial looking person. If you want someone who will do exactly as told, pick a man or woman with a fairly well rounded chin"

I think if you follow these wise words then nothing can go wrong.

You can't go wrong listening to phrenology:

Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hi Shaun,
Wow ! Huge progresses ! I think the fact that you perform for real people changes everything. You genuinely interact with your audience. There is a lot of tiny things I would change here and there, but it will evolve in the right way by itself with more performances.

There is just one thing you should try to avoid, it’s all the « ok » and « right ».

You are very close to a professional standard. More performances will allow you to reach it. Your technique is awesome, very elegant, perfectly convincing. There is still some place for improvement with your bottoms (flash left fingers). Otherwise, congratulations ! And by the way, beautiful relaxed hands. I love that.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Pop, do you do private sessions over Skype? ;-)

Rachmaninov: Good point on those filler words. It's time to get out the sandpaper and smooth those nervous manners. Also, thank you for pointing out that my hands were looking relaxed; I have been working on that.

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Really really looking good Shaun. You have a really disciplined work ethic and it shows. I enjoyed your funny intro too.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Thanks Mike. Do you mean "The Sufficient Zamboni" intro?

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yes. That cracked me up.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Preparations for an Upcoming Performance or Two (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL