The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practice, Practice, Practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jay Leno told me "You have to perform every day. Each day you DO NOT perform you go BACKWARDS."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Alan Morgan
Having a Tarbell open and a prop in hand can get repetitive, but repetition is the aim!
I keep that in mind.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Someone I respect deeply told me about the Japanese definition of "haragei"(used in martial arts).
That is (freely interpreted)technique beyond technique. Reading the actions, thoughts and motivations of your "enemy" (spectators). Feeling when he goes into an action and react on that. Sensing what seems to be the right thing to do.

All things that will only grow after the technical aspects of your art are taken care of. And more interesting: Only relevant in front of real people!

I think however basic your technique is, there should be a point where you audience test it before you can make refinements.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm workiong on this cups and balls routine...i like it....but it has problems...i have been doing this for about 4 months...workin in my little room...i take it out and do it on the streets from time to time....and the audience lets me know whats working and whats not working...its a solid routine with a few little problems...and everytime I perform it...i learn a little more about how it plays....soon it will be a working peice....now that's a big deal becaus ein my 39 years of doiung amgic I only have 7 or 8....things that are good enough in my eyes to go out and do...things that have been tested and performed 1000's of time in front of an audience...cellini told me once....go out and work on the streets...because what you learn in one year on the pavement is equal to what you would learn in 10 years in any other performance envirnment....restarants...stage...parties....bar....what ever it is.....out there its never controlled....and you'd better be good or they will walk......

who ever posted this...its turning into a good subject

kozz
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Lately I've been practicing coin magic for about 5 hours a day, and I just do it infront of the mirror, or I video tape myself (with the patter) from different angles. I practice classic palming( getting in and out of), my No Extra's Gone Gaffed, simple backfire, simple assemblies, shadow coins, and also intertwining the different tricks into one. Practice, Practice, Practice, still doesn't make perfect. Darn.
Sincerely,
Rmax
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
I guess I am one of those that doesn't believe in practicing in front of a spectator. I will work on effect at home for at least 6 months and only that effect. I break it down with practicing the motions of the moves then I will put the whole trick into sequence. After I have done that I will practice the whole sequence for at least a couple of months. Then I will work on patter, that I usually will write down some ideas then work on them infront of my camera and my wife.....When I get the o.k. from her It will be put into the act in the middle ( most people will remember your opener and closer so the middle is a good place for a new effect). It usually is at least 9 to 10 months before I put anything in the act. Then again I very rarely will I change something unless I am working on a new act...And that is a totally different story...LOL

tpdmagic
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Practice, Practice, still doesn't make perfect

As Dai Vernon once said...Practice does NOT make perfect...only PROPER practice makes perfect!

Mike
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Practice makes permanent!!... so practice well or your bad habits will become permanent
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Practice, Practice, Practice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL