The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What would you Buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
I think wmhegbli was being sarcastic, because as far as I know, these are all relatively new DVD sets.

My opinion:
I have only the Brainstorm set and one of the Vernon Revelations DVDs (covering volumes 3 and 4 of the series). The Brainstorm set has very strong card magic, especially volume 2. But I like volume 1 as well.

The Revelations series is a lot of fun to watch, but it is not as much a teaching tool. Rather, you get to watch Dai Vernon along with Ammar and others sit around and talk about the effects that they show you. They teach you the effects, but that is not really the emphasis. There is a lot of wisdom contained in here.

If you want to learn creative card tricks, Brainstorm is better. If you want to watch Dai Vernon and gain some nuggets of wisdom, as well as see some classic effects, Revelations is better.

I've heard great things about the Osterlind set, and the Green DVDs are supposed to be pretty advanced.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Hi RandyM, out of your list I only have the Osterlind Series and Lennart Green's 1,2&3 (I have 1-6 and love them all). Both these sets are near the top of my DVD collection and I have a lot. I have no regrets with these purchases at all. A lot of the stuff Green shows you are original and has fooled magicians. And what can you say about Osterlind? Awsome mentalism and explanations.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Osterlind Series, will teach you Mentalism and Mental Magic.
Lennart Green 1,2 3, will show you how good it CAN get.
TJ
green
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of green
Lennart Green whole series (1-6). The best of the best.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Lennart Green especially if you love card magic.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I would say either Close, Brainstorm, or Osterlind. I thought these three were great! I ddin't care too much for the Henry Evans!
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Personally, I'd buy the Brainstorm set. It has received a lot of positive press. Not that the others have not (quite the contrary), but it was the one (from the list you provided) that I would most like to see. I do have some of the vids from the Vernon set and they are amazing. Well worth having in one's library, if for nothing else than getting a glimpse into the teachiings and stories from The Professor.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-05-08 10:53, Daren wrote:
I would also go for the workers, frog prince is a highlight of my close-up set.

Daren,

You've got that right!! What a great effect. The "Chick Magnet" of magic.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
It's tough, but here's a breakdown:

Resturaunt / Close up: Michael Close
Impress Magic Friends: Lennart Green
Working on Mentalism: Osterlind

I just ordered the Brainstorm DVD's, so I'll let you know what I think. I don't know of the others, and I've seen Henry Evans lecture a few times - while his stuff is AWESOME, it sometimes requires you to buy HIS gaffs, which could be expensive. For example, his chinese production coin routine, is close to $300 - NOT included in the dvd set.

Good luck!
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I'd go for
Brainstorm: The Magic of John Guastaffero
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Osterlind

or

lennart green Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
If you want strong usable magic, my vote goes for Brainstorm followed very closely by the Workers Series. I think Brainstorms are the DVD's of the year by far (tied with the Scott Alexander dvds).
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Workers all the way!!!!
Great diverse material. Very different from many other dvds!
koan
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
63 Posts

Profile of koan
My vote is for Osterlind
if a dove appears in the woods and no one is around to see it... is it magic?
SGMagician
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SGMagician
Osterlind is the best!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What would you Buy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL