The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » School For Scoundrels Shells - Shot Glass too small (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I just purchased the School For Scoundrel Shells in Antique Copper from Penguin. They arrived yesterday and I've been having fun relearning the basic moves (I haven't done any three shell work in over 30 years). The SFS Perfect Peas are, indeed, perfect and I'm thrilled with the appearance, texture and feel of the shells.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the provided shot glass is slightly too small. Its inside diameter is slightly less than the width of the shells at their widest point. This results in the rim of the shot glass actually sitting on very edge (pointed tip) of the shell when the shot glass is inverted over it. That results in downward pressure on the tip (front) of the shell when the shot glass is moved. Combine that with how the the old shell game works and the result is a shell that won't stay still under the shot glass. In fact, the shell has actually flipped over while moving the shot glass.

I have a couple of other shot glasses but they are too small too. I guess I'll have to go shopping for a replacement glass.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if this is a change in shot glass supplier and a resulting smaller size. Something that the SFS crew just happened to miss. Or, do I have abnormally large shells (extra flashing).

To borrow from Pop Haydn... Those of you that own the SFS shells, do your nuts fit under the provided shot glass fully? Smile I guess that's another way of asking if, perhaps, my nuts are too big? Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
I believe that there can be slight discrepancies between the shells. For example, 1 of my 3 copper shells only just fits, the second is slightly too small, and the third is smaller still. However, all 3 of my shells work fine. I haven't heard any persons having your issue though. Is your shot glass authentic? Are you sure it wasn't swapped out?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2018, licker98 wrote:
I believe that there can be slight discrepancies between the shells. For example, 1 of my 3 copper shells only just fits, the second is slightly too small, and the third is smaller still. However, all 3 of my shells work fine. I haven't heard any persons having your issue though. Is your shot glass authentic? Are you sure it wasn't swapped out?

I actually shot a short video to demonstrate the issue. I shared that video with Chef Anton at School For Scoundrels and he responded that it was a surprise to him. He said they've been using the same shell manufacturer and shot glass supplier for decades. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention.

The shot glass in question was the one that was supplied directly from Penguin. The props arrived in a gold foil box that was secured with clear packing tape 3/4 of the way around. I didn't see any evidence that the props had been used before, but I did find it unusual that a rather long strip of clear packing tape was used to keep the lid on the box. The tape covered the label on the top of the box and, when I attempted to remove the tape it began to tear the label. I have no idea if that is how all of them are secured/assembled.

The shot glass is a bit interesting in that the inside of the rim at the top (opening up) has an inner bead of glass. Meaning, if you run your finger gently up the inside of the shot glass from the bottom, when you reach the rim there is a raised area right at the top that makes the opening at the rim slightly smaller than it would otherwise be. If that little extra bead of glass wasn't around the inside of the rim, I think the shot glass would fit over the shells just fine.

I went to Bev'Mo yesterday to pick up a different shot glass. However, their shot glasses had this extra bead of glass around the inside of the rim too. I didn't bring a shell with me to measure so I didn't purchase one. I plan to go back (with a shell to use for measuring) today or tomorrow.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Many of the shot glass makers today have this extra bead around the inside top of the glass rim to strengthen the rim.

This is from the "Shot Glass Slammers" becoming so popular in the bars today.

Too many shot glasses were breaking when the shot glass was slammed down on the bar top. You will need to find the older made shot glass without this bead.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is a glass that looks very old fashioned, but has a slightly larger diameter rim. They fit my larger shells very well:

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/8......QAvD_BwE

Bormioli Rocco Rock Bar Shot Glasses, 2 oz
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Just bought the shells, same problem as well. The glas is too small
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
I have a top shelf vintage shell set by 3shells.com and due to Pop's recommendation above I purchased the above shot glasses and they work well with my shells.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
ActionJack:
Yes, that shot glass will fit over your Top-Shelf Vintage shell set.

But you will have up & down movement of the shell when stealing the pea.
The inside mouth diameter is a good fit, but the glass has too much headspace where the shell can move upward when stealing the pea. 

I make that same shot glass in a clear resin and it can be sanded down about a 1/4" where there is no shell headspace inside the shot glass.  

This brings no movement of the shell at all when stealing the pea.  

There are a few reasons why I prefer a clear resin shot glass over a glass - shot glass.

With a clear resin shot glass, I can custom fit it to work well with many different shells, where the shell has no movement inside the glass in all directions.

The key to having a good working shot glass for a shell is where there is no extra room inside the glass for the shell to move forward, backward, or upward inside the glass when the shot glass is moved with the shell and pea.
This brings no movement of the shell when stealing the pea.

Clear Resin Shot Glass - Advantages
1. Can custom fit the resin shot glass to fit a shell better. As it can be sanded to the size you need for no shell movement when stealing the pea.
2. Can put an inside rim taper for a smoother pea steal
3. Won't break if dropped.
4. Lighter in weight to carry.

Resin Shot Glass - Con
1. Cost is more.

Al
www.3shells.com
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Al, is that shot glass on your website? I couldn't find it.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
ActionJack

No, I haven't got around to posting them on the website yet. Because I have been only selling them to customers when fitting them with a shell set that they have purchased.

I'll try to put them up on the website soon.

I have molds for two different types of resin shot glasses.
One is like the one you have now and the other one is a little thicker wall type shot glass, as you find at many bars. Both are 2 oz. resin shot glasses before any sanding is done to fit a shell.
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
51 Posts

Profile of markmagic
I use the little ‘shot’ glass that candles come in at the dollar tree. They have several types and they’re only a buck.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
You can even see a picture of the problem with the glass on the propdog site: https://www.propdog.co.uk/3-shell-copper-antique

Unfortunately I still haven't found a glass that doesn't do a small jump when stealing the pea and that fits snugly
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » School For Scoundrels Shells - Shot Glass too small (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL