The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Conflict in Story Effects (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
New blog is up! Read my take on conflict in story effects. You can watch how I do this in a recent performance of Ladanye's Ultimate Triumph.

https://www.cardmagicbyjason.com/conflict-and-story-effects/
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
Here's a video of Ladanye's Ultimate Triumph:

https://youtu.be/WszXsYT1Jow
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2019, jason ladanye wrote:

Nicely done. You had me smiling during the performance.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Terrific.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
123 Posts

Profile of chosen1
Really wonderful post and performance, Mr. Ladanye.

If you don't mind, I'd love to ask you a question about tension and your particular character.

Your character is the best of the best. Everything from your presentations to your wardrobe screams professional. You even have a few lines like "I almost thought I messed up there, but then I remembered I don't do that." Do you feel that because of that you have to work extra hard to create tension? When I watch you perform, (and I've seen everything you've put out, huge fan) I never doubt your ability to pull off whatever incredible routine you plan on performing. It feels perfectly inevitable. Because of that, as an audience, I never feel any uncertainty that could naturally create tension about the outcome. You're just too dang good!

Besides storytelling what other things do you do to make sure that your audience feels tension during every routine. For some effects like "Standing Out" the answer is easily deduced, you appear to have cut to the wrong cards, and with something like "Art of War" you appear to be winning despite your best intentions to help them. But do you have any other tricks that you use that you wold be willing to share?

Again, thanks for sharing. It's really some inspiring work.

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
I need to be sure the audience really believes I've messed up when I'm selling this perfect character. I never want them to think, "Oh he's just pretending to be in trouble.) So it comes down to conviction. In my effect, Game Changer, I make a bet with very clear conditions. Two cards are selected and lost in the deck. I deal through the cards and claim whoevers card hits the table first wins $100. In my effect, their FACE-UP card hits the table first. That's what convinces them. They're looking right at their card with their signature on it. Now, I can still win this bet (you'll have to buy the book!) but the point is, I've convinced them that I've lost because they're looking at the evidence with their own eyes.

Other ways to get them hooked, bet money, tell an interesting story, have them play an interactive role in the effect... there's lots of ways to get your audience interested and engaged.

Thanks for the kind words.

-Jason
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
123 Posts

Profile of chosen1
A really thought provoking post Mr. Ladanye. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Game Changer is a briliant effect and the most interesting version of that plot I've seen yet. If it wasn't for Art of War (which is going into my act, such an easily understood premise and so much room for interaction) Game Changer would be my favorite in your book.

If I may, I'd like to ask what you are thinking as you perform a trick like Standing Out? You mention the importance of conviction, but in your "internal monologue" to borrow a phrase, are you thinking 'oh snaps I really did mess up, but thank god I'm so good that I can get out of this" and you then improvise a way out? Or are you thinking in your own mind that you really are just having some fun with the audience and you are leading them down the garden path. Or even still am I just thinking way too much. LOL.

Again thank you for your time, for sharing, and a huge thank you for Art of War.

Best,
Brandon
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
In Standing Out, I'm acting as if I really did miss. It's an opening effect, so they'll believe you really did mess up. I blame the spectator for some humor and then use sleight of hand to fix the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKNG7glsHM
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2019, jason ladanye wrote:

Please keep posting, Jason. This was not only extremely enjoyable, but very helpful, no matter what level our skill. Lynn
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
123 Posts

Profile of chosen1
That was what I thought Mr. Ladanye, but also nice to hear directly from the source. Thank you so much for your thoughtful answers.

Best,
Brandon
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Terrific
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Conflict in Story Effects (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL