The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Too much Inv. deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I am going to be away as a counselor at our church's jr. camp next week and am planning on having lots of fun with the kids and doing a few tricks each eve in our cabin before lights out. One idea I had was to utilize the invisible deck each night and have the card selected by the group or a different volunteer(s) done in a different way each eve. I was wondering if this might be overkill, or maybe too much of the same thing ??? I am planning on having a lot of fun and doing other tricks as well. I am planning on doing "the web" one of the nights, but using my co-counselor as the volunteer for this one (in fact I let him in on it, so he will know whats gonna happen but it should still be great when he flips his hand over)!! I appreciate any feedback concerning over usage of inv. deck routine, thanks! Smile

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Over use of any effect can lead to inadvertant disclosure. I'd say if your audience isn't going to change (camp situation), use a different effect each night and a regular deck as much as possible or you are going to get called on it.

If your "co-counselor" understands the Inv Deck system, you an he/she can do an Inv Deck without the deck.

Suggestions:
Invisible deck on first night,
OOTW on another.
You might be able to get away with a different Inv Deck effect later but if your audience is quick on the take, and kids usually are, you will need an out.

You might try a bit of coin or silk magic to mix it up as well.
Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Unless the kids are over the age of 11, I wouldn't even think about using the Invisible Deck. The concept of mindreading is alien to them, and they often don't know the names of the cards.

I tried performing it in kidshows, when I started performing. The trick died! Other performers have told me about similar experiences.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Use Michael Close's big surprise. I use that with kids all the time. Not only is it keep the kids focused on something during the performance, I use it to keep the little brats in line (just kidding).

They only get to see the big surprise if:
nobody touches it unless asked
nobody grabs stuff off the table.

Usually this is done tongue-in-cheek but the kids definitely get the idea and are more well behaved. They keep each other in line because, well, they want to see "The Big Surprise".

There are many benefits to "The Big Surprise" and this is just one of them.

You can have a lot of fun with it throught the whole show.

My big surprise is not the same as michael close's version, however. He has someone holding it in their seat. I do not. It's sitting right up in front with me on the table for all to see at all times.

Lovin' that big surprise,

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Too much Inv. deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL