The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dead Lock by Michael Murray (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, phanindhra wrote:
Absolutely love this Lock. Michael Murray is a real Genius. I got the US version and use it almost every time I perform my acts. So portable and always stays in my pocket.

Ditto
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
With the passage of time, any additional considerations as to the various sizes of the locks for close-up or parlor presentations? And has anyone more experience with the size of the numbers and the ability of spectators to read the digits? Does the large size feel unwieldy for close-up?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I have the smallest versions, and would recommend the medium size unless you’re on stage. The small can be a bit hard to see for some folks. Still 100% fine, but thinking the medium is probably the safer bet across the board.

-Theodore Annemann
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Thank you for the swift response and input
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I purchased the large version and I think it is fine for close-up. It's not like it's a giant padlock weighing 10 lbs. or something.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Will also investigate the large lock - thank you
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2019, celebrity wrote:
Since I have had so many e-mails and pm's asking about the differences between my lock and 'Locked for Life' I thought it may be best to give the following insight -

Firstly, Locked for Life is not a new product, but in-fact was released under that title by Magicbox in March 2005 (this was originally made by a gentleman called Frank Hudson who sadly passed away after a few years of producing them) since then Magicbox found someone else who could produce them and as such brought them back to the market (although I believe that permission was granted by Franks family for this, recent investigation has left me unsure either way if Frank was the first to produce gimmicked locks of this specification (see below for further info)).

Since I used to work at Magicbox I actually owned this item and used it personally for many years, there is no doubting that it is indeed a great effect and although I had great success with it I wanted to make the routine even more personal and thought that if I could predict the specific DAY and MONTH that a participant was born or perhaps married (which is made possible with Dead Lock) then this would be far more impossible than just a year.

Having been working on an entirely prop-less DOB divination effect it dawned on me that I could combine elements from my ventures with this, with a new way of gimmicking a lock to produce the desired result. Which not only allows you to intuit the day and month that the participant is born, but also allows a role reversal and allows them to intuit yours (should you wish). Using my prop-less additions, in many instances it is also possible to reveal specific numbers that the participant is thinking of before they even attempt to open the lock with them.

In short, if you prefer to use a year, go for Locked for Life and if you prefer to use the specific day and month then Dead Lock is the one for you. I should also add that if you are working on stage then Dream Lock is a fantastic choice too (all three work differently).

With reference to the two posts above, my research into gimmicked locks did highlight that there are many locks that exist using the same methodology as Locked for Life, these include -

LuvRs Lock (from Mighells Illusion)
Lovers Lock
Mental Prediction Padlock
The Wedding Ring Trick
Perfect Combination
Combination Padlock Mystery

From what I have read on the Café these locks seem to have existed since at least 2003 and I am personally unsure which came first between them.

Best Wishes to All Michael

Just to complete your insight, I made the first "PATLOCK" for the late Patrick Page in 2002! Yes, 2002' and Pat sold it that year, and for the rest of his life. It is still sold by Patrick Page Magic.
It has been copied by many. Clyde Mighells Was the only person who offered to step back with his lock, but Pat didn't mind and I replied to Clyde that the world is a big place.
Everyone else just copied the Patlock, and still do. In the early days I even bought some of the copies to see if the inner workings were different/better than the Patlock, but in every case the work was the same (although more roughly finished). The same thing happened to the locks I produced for the late David DeVal.

Of course, if somebody takes the idea and develops it, adding to the effect, that is a good thing, and good for magic. Onwards and upwards.

Riley
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The largest size is the way to go, even for close up. It is not that big. The largest size is basically what I would call "average" size. Still small enough to carry in a pocket, it is not heavy at all. And much easier to manipulate.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1965 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Many thanks for the insights Riley, this is great to know and is a valuable addition to the crediting history too. I would love for you to have a copy of my lock and see that you don't live too far from me (I am actually a member of the Darlington Circle). I will pm to sort you out with a copy Smile

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Hi Michael

Thank you for the offer.

I've sent you a PM

Best wishes

Riley
Magonil
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magonil
I love dead lock , highly recommended
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Have one for sale should anyone be interested
Medium = 28mm x 77mm (height includes clasp)
US Variant. (month/day format rather than day/month
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have been having a sort out of late and this has allowed me to look again at Dead Lock.

What a masterpiece - and shame on me for putting it away and not using it as much as I should. There is a lesson in this too - far too often we turn our attention to the next latest thing and ignore some really fine items that we already have.

Ironically, in my sort out, I also found a presentation I'd drafted for Dead Lock involving some numbered cards which again I shall enjoy dusting off and putting to good use.

Neil
Mind Circus
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
127 Posts

Profile of Mind Circus
Lately been using dead lock in a bizarre routine, where the lock seals an old dusty wooden box and the combination is the birthday of its long deceased owner.
I've forgotten the combination, but the spectators may divine it through seance or other such means...
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, Bruce T wrote:
Have one for sale should anyone be interested
Medium = 28mm x 77mm (height includes clasp)
US Variant. (month/day format rather than day/month

Did you ever sell it?
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
Can this be any random 4 numbers?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, Chaikuni wrote:

any year in a century of your choice.

-Theodore Annemann
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2024, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2024, Chaikuni wrote:

any year in a century of your choice.

So it must start with a 1 or 2? It can't be just a random 4 digit arrangement? I notice it's always associated with birthdates.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great effect. Use mine all the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dead Lock by Michael Murray (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL