The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Re-edge liberty halfs yourself? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
This might have been answered before but I can’t find it. Is it possible to re-edge liberty halfs yourself? What are the tools? How long does it take? How much does somebody else charge for this procedure? Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have never done this...but it is a good idea.

An exacto knife?

I would be interested to see what people with this experience has to say.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Astinus, it seems like it might not be that hard, right? Downside is I'd hate to screw up my old coins.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Yeah. I know what you mean. I just have never done it before...
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Way back in the 70's I got a Chinatown Half set that was made by Johnson Products. The Chinatown coin had a milled edge, but the Chinatown part of the gimmick didn't. I went around the coin with a very thin edged hobby file and filed grooves into the brass Chinatown part. I followed the milled grooves of the Half part in order to get them even and consistent. It probably didn't take more than a half hour, and the results were satisfactory.

I had the advantage of an existing set of grooves to follow, plus I had a fair amount of experience doing miniature modeling and metal work. I'm not sure I would recommend trying this on real silver coins, but if you're handy with small tools you may be able to set up a jig of some sort to help keep the milling even. Maybe place the silver Half between a pair of newer Halves with crisp milled edges, clamp lightly, then file by following the milled edges of the coins above and below the one you're working on.

Beyond that I suppose you could have the edges refurbished by a precision machine shop, but it would probably cost a lot less to locate and purchase coins in better condition than those you want re-edged.

If you try it yourself and wreck a nice coin, don't blame this idiot on the Magic Café board who said it -might- be possible. Smile

Greg
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Geemack- I have followed your advice and have ruined four rare Denver issue liberty half dollars. I am going through the official channels at the Café here to seek reimbursement for the coins and additional monies for emotional distress.
;) Frank
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
This can be and has been done by some of the really dedicated coin guys here at the Café. Techniques vary, but the general idea is to use something to clamp two coins together, so that one coin may be used as the guide for cutting the other.

I have seen coins re-edged by knives, files and jeweler's saws. It depends on what you're used to, and how long you want the grooving to last.

Or, you can have your entire set of coins remilled and edged by either Jamie Schoolcraft or Todd Lassen. I hear they both do an excellent job.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I will be asking Jamie about this soon. Also about some odd ideas.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Jamie does great work, Just had him make me a few goodies. Excellent work!!!

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Any idea on the price per coin?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 20:54, Frankm6 wrote:
Any idea on the price per coin?

I re-mill the edges on soft coins using a 4-axis CNC mill and a special broaching tool - the grooves are created one at a time; 150 grooves on a half-dollar and 180 grooves on silver dollar. Controlled by a computer, they come out better than new.

I've done this on other guys' coins and have charged $5 per coin - steep compared with the price of a worn out half and even compared to the price of a silver dollar. But the results are perfect and the finished coins palm like they had Velcro on them.

Too bad you don't live in Alaska; you could stop by the studio and I'd re-mill them while you wait Smile

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Re-edge liberty halfs yourself? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL