The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Roy Johnson videos of His Nemo Rising Cards and Linking Finger Rings (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Hi there

Anyone know how to achieve this effect linking two borrowed wedding bands that are apparently never switched during the routine?

From time index 1:40 min |performance by The Ehrlich Brothers

I'm truly grateful for any suggestions or recommendations.

Looking forward
Michael
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Michael,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that performance almost certainly uses stooges. There are ways of doing this so that the stooges have no idea of the fake ring, but I will not reveal these in a public forum. For an audience of that size, you can get away with this - especially if the stooges are paid, but for regular shows it would not be worth the risk. Read any of the published routines for the linking finger rings that are out there and you will usually read the same advice: don't use a stooge. The only version using the Himber ring that doesn't involve a switch that I know of is Nick Lewin's fabulous routine, but that use five rings, not two.

Allan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Hi there

Anyone know how to achieve this effect linking two borrowed wedding bands that are apparently never switched during the routine?

From time index 1:40 min |performance by The Ehrlich Brothers

I'm truly grateful for any suggestions or recommendations.

Looking forward
Michael

One way to do this would be to purchase the Porper and Scott Jenkins $700 Ghostly Linking Finger Ring, and work out your routine. I believe they have another version as well, that even more amazing. Contact Scott Jenkins and find out the different rings they are making.

http://illusion.works/product/ghostly-linking-finger-rings/
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Many thanks, AllanK and Bill. Stooges are no option as far as my performances are concerned and I don't think linking two borrowed rings to a "magical" ring the performer provides and cannot be examined by a spectator would suit the way I would perform this effect.

I have many ideas how to get a Himber ring into play, but I prefer the illusion that is conveyed in the video clip. Two borrowed and examinable rings are linked in front of the couple and then separated and given back (for examination). This is an excellent idea and I like that no additional magic-prop-looking ring must be introduced to linking two borrowed rings.

Still, even if the couple is in on this routine. I don't see any switch. Or do you mean that they bring at least one custom-design Himber ring with them on stage? Many thanks for your ideas.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Michael.Krgel, The way stooges usually works, is like what David Copperfield does, while people are walking into an event, David's staff, looks over the attendees and ask them back stage or to a place they can meet privately. Then David ask for their help, but does not explain the secret. In this case, the performer would ask for them to ware the rings, and to come on stage when invited. This eliminates having to go into the audience and find a person with a finger ring that would work with your routine.

It is common setup for a number of effects in magic, like he Cut and restored necktie. In this case, you spot someone that seems to be a willing audience member. Ask them to wear your tie, and that is all. During the show, you just invite the person on stage to help. One drawback would be your rings have to fit the person's finger.

As far as the video presentation, that routine is theirs, it is not something you can buy at a magic shop.

As far as finger rings are concerned, I have not seen a Himber style gaffed ring that looks like a magic prop. The gaff is totally invisible, it may be a custom designed finger ring. It most likely could cost a thousand dollars or more to have made.The only excepting to this statement would be if the original Al Koran gaffed ring is used. This would not be possible, but Al Koran's presentation if brilliant, he has worked out every detail.

If you look at the 2 spectators faces, you should see they are none the wiser to what is happening. They do not know anything about what is has been happening.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Another bold method is to not borrow three rings. Borrow one (or two) and openly use your own.

Do a number of fingering effects/tricks prior to borrowing the spectator's ring. Say do a ring on and off ribbon or string routine. Make sure that the spectators handle and examine your ring in the performance so that they know and will testify that it is a "normal" ring. Then during a phase of borrowing their ring or rings do a simple switch and bring your gaffed ring into play.

From experience it plays as strong as the routines built on borrowing three rings.

Or Perform the routine using the Karrell Fox bluff. He implies that he borrows three rings. He doesn't. He does borrow three items. Two rings and a pen or pencil. He adds his ring and performs an otherwise pretty standard routine. When asking about the borrowed and now linked rings. He asks the first person "Do you see your ring? Is it linked to the next ring?"
Asks the next person "Do you see yours? Is it linked?" and the final person (pointing in the direction of the pencil/pen) "Is this yours? Are all the rings linked together?" etc.

I watched Karrell perform this routine four or five times over the years and never caught on. When he finally published it I slapped my head and said "of course!"

You don't have to use stooges. If your gaffed ring is generic enough the you might just notice a person wearing a ring that is identical to yours. Then you are home free. At one point Billy Mccomb carried six or dight different but common style gaffed rings to try to match a borrowed ring exactly with his gaff.

However, with a large-ish audience matching is not necessary. The handling and strength of your routine will carry you through. See Nick Lewin's masterful routine, also check out Billy McComb's routine and David Regal's routine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Many thanks for your thoughts, Bill and Harry. Obviously, I have never ever performed on a large stage with assistants getting in touch with audience members before the show. But that makes sense altogether.

I just thought it might be nice for the upcoming wedding performances I may look forward to.

However, there are innocent-looking rings out there. I have an eye on

Joe Porper's Ellis Wedding Band (Version 2.0)

http://illusion.works/product/joe-porper......ng-v-2-0

and his

AmaZeRing

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/amazering-joe-porper

They both look like they are what I'm deep within myself actually looking for, but the latter unfortunately currently out of stock :/

However, it might be that they are quite similar as far as their working is concerned.
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Michael.Kegel, the Ellis ring is NOT a Himber ring and cannot be used to do the linking finger rings. It is, however, a wonderful prop that can be used to perform some great tricks. The AmaZeRing IS a Himber-type ring that works in the same way as Mr Porper's beautiful ghost rings. My ghost rings are still going strong after more than 30 years! It is definitely not the traditional Himber method, but would work beautifully.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
There is another option from David Regal, less expensive that Porper comes with 2 gimmicked rings
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2020, AllanK wrote:
Michael.Kegel, the Ellis ring is NOT a Himber ring and cannot be used to do the linking finger rings. It is, however, a wonderful prop that can be used to perform some great tricks. The AmaZeRing IS a Himber-type ring that works in the same way as Mr Porper's beautiful ghost rings. My ghost rings are still going strong after more than 30 years! It is definitely not the traditional Himber method, but would work beautifully.

Thanks a lot for that significant information. I actually thought the Ellis ring was a Himber ring.

So, if a Joe Porper item, then it'll be the AmaZeRing as the Ghost Rings are a tad more expensive (albeit worth every penny, I'm sure) Smile
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2020, pabloinus wrote:
There is another option from David Regal, less expensive that Porper comes with 2 gimmicked rings

Many thanks, pabloinus.

I take it you're referring to David's Linking Finger Ring Project.

Currently, apparently as out of stock as the AmaZeRing but definitely interesting. I'll put that on my wishlist and wait and see.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The Penguin Magic Christmas 2015 lecture had a very impressive linking of borrowed rings. It was taught by Scott Alexander.
He used the name "missing link".

I don't know if it is currently available, but worth looking into.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2020, John Long wrote:
The Penguin Magic Christmas 2015 lecture had a very impressive linking of borrowed rings. It was taught by Scott Alexander.
He used the name "missing link".

I don't know if it is currently available, but worth looking into.

John

I know this effect, John, and it's still available: http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/product/the-missing-link
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Michael,

What's shown on the Penguin lecture is NOT the Missing Link routine, just a tiny portion of it. I have both the men's and women's rings for Scott's routine - they are beautiful and easy to use, well worth the money. In the Missing Link, you have all three spectators on stage with you and the audience see you show the linked chain to each of the spectators, and they each verify that his/her ring is linked to the chain. It is VERY powerful and there are no stooges and the "moves" are easier than the regular routines out there.

I also have the David Regal set that you mentioned above. This comes with three rings, one regular ring and two Himber rings, each with a different locking mechanism. The routine is more of the standard routine, but you get a very simple gimmick that allows you to visibly unlink the final two rings without touching them while they are hanging (linked) from a pencil.

As I said earlier, Nick Lewin's routine is the only one I know of where no ring switching is needed. You also don't need to get any spectators up on stage. You can use a cheap Himber ring for this routine - in fact Nick gives tips on how to make a cheap Himber ring even better!

All of these routines have their strengths under different circumstances. For instance, if you are performing where space is limited, you might not be able to do Scott Alexander's routine. If you have a very large audience, you need a very strong presentation such as Nick's. There are all sorts of staging problems with this trick, visibility being one of the main one's. If you use a giant screen, then I think of the three I have mentioned, only Nick's routine will work because there are no switched in rings.

I keep mentioning the "standard" routine. By this, I mean the routine by Billy McComb in McComb's Magic. I think this is the routine upon which most of the modern routines are based.

It sounds like I am an expert on this trick, but I am NOT! I have been playing with it for decades but only ever perform it when the circumstances are exactly right and I am doing a repeat show. Yes, it is miraculous, but there are plenty of other mind-blowing miracles that you can do that are easier to stage and more easily seen by the audience.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Thanks a lot for your detailed response, AllanK.

Actually, I don't own or know Scott's Missing Link explanation on the aforementioned Penguin Lecture. I only know his Missing Link effect from the line of effects Scott currently offers.

I think I've got a pretty good idea what to keep in mind if I'd like to bring this effect on stage during one of my performances and I'm sure it'll be with props that are made by either Joe Porper, David Regal or Scott Alexander. No offence to all the other manufacturers of similar effects, but I think I can't go wrong with one of these gentlemen.

With a proper switch, I'm absolutely sure I'll be able to pull off a similiar effect on the spectator compared to the one seen in the video I posted here.

Long story short: many thanks for all your ideas and thoughts. I'm truly grateful as they've been truly helpful.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Alan seems to know more about "Missing Link" than I do, but I would like to point out one distinction.

In the PM lecture (which was free at the time), Scott A taught a routine that I thought he also called missing link (but I may be off on that part); Howsomeever; the routine that he did teach was done with a simple/inexpensive Himber ring (Staggering?), and could look just about the same as Alan described: borrowed rings, each gets to verify that their ring is in play, no stooges, a visual unlinking. One part of the routine would look better with the expensive gaff (link given above)
BUT you do not need that expensive gaff, just a ~$30 one will still look great.

I would recommend contacting PM, to see if they would sell the explanation (it was part of the PM Christmas 2015 lecture) for the Himber Ring. At least try to see a demo.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
John, you are quite right, the linking ring routine shown on the PM lecture is fabulous! Scott calls it the Missing Link, but he (and Bob Kohler) also sell "The Missing Link", which is a different routine with three spectators on stage and includes his fabulous Himber ring, which explains the high cost. Scott actually shows and describes this special ring in the PM lecture too. I agree, from the spectators' point of view, the overall effect is the same - and having just one spectator on stage is easier to manage than three. Nevertheless, there are certain subtleties and handlings in the other routine that make it very powerful. The choice depends on your performing conditions.

Allan
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The missing link routine can be found at

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6354

but it is no longer free, but still worthwhile (you get a number of other effects too)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
We are out of AmazeRings at the moment, mostly because the gold-plating place I use is down for the quarantine. I'm working on a ton of stuff though, and we'll be back ASAP.
Scott
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Roy Johnson videos of His Nemo Rising Cards and Linking Finger Rings (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL