The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deck the Halls » » Review: Hercules decks (Blackout Brother) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
New Custom Playing Cards From Gamblers Warehouse

In this review series I'll cover some of the latest additions to the ranks of the custom decks from Playing Cards Dot Net. This is a division of Gambler's Warehouse, which has been a part of the playing card industry for over two decades. Not only do they sell a massive amount of playing cards, but they are also involved in crowdfunding and producing custom playing cards.

Today we will first meet the GRID Blackout deck, which uses special UV inks that show up under black light. Then we'll take a look at the goldsmith inspired design of the Bicycle Syndicate deck, before moving to the Hercules deck, which is a delightful homage to a mythical hero, and my favourite of all the decks showcased here!

Hercules decks

The Hercules decks feature illustrations and designs by Blackout Brother, with two separate editions printed, each with their own look. Both decks are a tribute to the legendary hero from Greek myths, Hercules, who is depicted on the box cover, and tell the famous story of his twelve tasks.

Bicycle Edition

The Bicycle Edition Hercules deck had a larger print run of 5000 decks. The tuck box has a more standard look and feel, with red, white, and ivory used against a jet black background, although full interior printing with a delicate pattern in ivory and black makes an immediate statement when you open the box.

Our hero Hercules is famous for his adventures, and the designs in this deck are especially inspired by the tales surrounding his 12 tasks. Each of the dozen court cards in the deck depicts something that is at the heart of one of the 12 labours he had to carry out, such as his encounter with the Nemean lion, the Cretan bull, and the golden apples of Hesperides. Each court card has small capitalized text that indicates which of the dozen tasks it represents.

The mythical creatures and events illustrated on the cards have an energetic quality about them, that makes them appear as if they are leaping from the playing cards into life. Red touches on the diamonds and hearts ensures that the suits are easily distinguished.

But it's not just the court cards that look classy. Each number card has a similar overall graphic design to the court cards. The indices are set in a white rectangular panel and touched with gold edges, while ornately designed pips are set inside intricate oval-shaped banners. To say it is a work of art doesn't seem to do justice to the stunning beauty that is on display in this marvellous deck!

Limited Edition

The artwork of the Limited Edition Hercules deck matches that of the companion Bicycle Edition deck, but uses a different colour scheme. This is immediately evident by taking a look at the tuck box, which has the same design but set on a blue background, and laced with red, silver and gold foil, for a very dramatic effect. Being a limited edition with a smaller print run, it's also no surprise to discover a numbered seal.

The impressive foil look extends to the inside of the tuck box as well, with a full interior printing of the design that matches the Bicycle Edition, but now decked out with shiny red foil.

Meanwhile the cards are arguably more playable and usable, given the white faces and borders on the their front and back.

It doesn't make quite as stark an impression as the same artwork on the Bicycle Edition cards, but the white background is definitely more practical, and won't reveal the nicks and chips of use as quickly.

The pairs of Jokers in both decks depict the hero Hercules himself, while two additional gaff cards (a double backer, and a split king/queen of hearts) fill out the deck to 56 cards in total. And as we've come to expect from most decks fulfilled by Gamblers Warehouse, it's your typical high quality printed by USPCC.

Recommendation

Once again Gambler's Warehouse continues to produce attractive and high quality playing cards. They have a lot of experience in the custom playing card industry, and collaborate with designers by offering fulfilment as well as production of custom decks. Decks like the ones featured in this review series are fine examples of the creative and attractive work they are producing.

Besides producing playing cards, Gambler's Warehouse also sells them at their online retail outlet, Playingcards.net. Here you'll find a wide range of hundreds of quality decks for sale, all of which include free US shipping in the price.

Of the playing cards covered in this review series, the Hercules decks are easily my favourite. I'm especially partial to the striking looks of the face cards in the Bicycle Edition of this deck, which really stand out against the jet black backdrop. The tuck box of the Limited Edition is definitely the most impressive of the two, given the abundance of foil, and these cards are also highly attractive despite the white background. I'm no hero myself, but with the Hercules decks in my pocket, I can console myself that a hero is always close at hand.

Want to learn more?
Gamblers Warehouse: http://gamblerswarehouse.com
Playing Cards Dot Net: http://playingcards.net

Direct links for the decks featured in this review series: (prices listed include free US shipping from playingcards.net)
- Limited Edition Grid Blackout deck ($24.00)
- Bicycle Syndicate deck ($15.95)
- Bicycle Edition Hercules deck ($14.95)
- Limited Edition Hercules deck ($14.95)

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deck the Halls » » Review: Hercules decks (Blackout Brother) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL