The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
As someone who performs mostly as a close up magician I thought I would ask this question to other close up performers based on something Dave over at PropDog said:

As there are a lot of new effects have misleading trailers which of the two would your prefer dealers to do

A/ should the trailer be an unedited full performance so that you and the public can see the effect from start to finish as it is done in the real world

B/ Should the trailer show a full performance followed be exposing the secret so that you can and the public can see exactly how its done

No need for reasons just a simple A or B reply would be nice
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
A.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Given only those two choices, I would choose A. But I do think that there are many effects in which we're paying more for the unique or original presentation, than for the method itself. In those cases, I'd say the presentation -is- the secret, and an unedited full performance might be unfair to the seller, since the video gives it away for free.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
A
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Keith Raygor wrote:
....But I do think that there are many effects in which we're paying more for the unique or original presentation, than for the method itself. In those cases, I'd say the presentation -is- the secret, and an unedited full performance might be unfair to the seller, since the video gives it away for free.

I would agree with this - just look at some of Scott Alexander's products such as cards across & paper tear.
Also, I don't think that the choices are as binary as A or B - the determined lay person will probably be able to search out the secret of the product from a mix of magic shops, YouTube and forums...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Puggo/Keith, as always I respect what you say and obviously by limiting the choices you would think people would and should choose option A if they have ethics. The point of the question is that Dave over at PropDog thinks that customers would rather have a video that explains the secret out in the open for all to see including the general public rather than a video which gives an untrue representation of the effect.

Now whilst I agree partly with what he's saying ie magicians would rather see a true video that shows what they are buying I don't think they actually would want the method exposed for anybody that happens to stumble across it to see especially given the price of magic effects these days.

My argument is that if Dave feels so strongly about the untrue video's surely he could just show unedited videos that show a full performance rather than an exposure video, I'm not saying every dealer should do it and I know that's not always the best solution but I really believe it's a better option than exposing the method for those that haven't paid for the effect and the general public to see.

It's been brought to my attention that these videos are not easy to find however they can be found especially when the effect is being performed on YouTube by other magicians and giving a shout out to where the effect can be purchased as is the case with his latest effect.

Now just to be clear it's Dave's effect and he can do what he wants with it but obviously by doing the exposure type sell your always going to get comments off old school magicians such as myself. This is not a slur on Dave's company as I know from personal experience that PropDog offer a great service and do everything in their power to look after their customers, I just don't believe exposure is the answer and from the responses I've seen on here I believe that most magicians given the choice would rather see an unedited performance over an exposure video that the general public can see.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, warren wrote:

No need for reasons just a simple A or B reply would be nice

I'm sorry I thought these were the parameters. Are we discussing now?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Not really discussing I just thought I would clarify why I went for a simple A or B answer

However feel free to discuss amongst yourselves though.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, Keith Raygor wrote:
Given only those two choices, I would choose A. But I do think that there are many effects in which we're paying more for the unique or original presentation, than for the method itself. In those cases, I'd say the presentation -is- the secret, and an unedited full performance might be unfair to the seller, since the video gives it away for free.

Very true, A
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
A.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Of course ... A
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The secret is part of what you're buying so it cannot be B.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL