The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Was making progress then... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I'm brand new to card magic and trying to get the DL down. I've watched Jason England's video a hundred times and have been practicing Dr Daley's Instantaneous DL and Martin Nash's Knockout DL. I thought I was making great progress and then have seemed to hit a wall. I've noticed that with the Instantaneous method (and the Knockout to a lesser degree) the two cards are separating a bit making it noticeable there are two cards. I think my technique feels more natural and smoother but I seemed to have taken a step backward. Two questions:

1) What could be happening with my technique that is causing the two cards to separate as I do the first turnover?
2) I've been experimenting with stiffer cards (Turner Golds) and awaiting the more flexible ones (Bicycle Elite) which won't arrive until May. In achieving a fluid DL, would stiff or flexible cards be preferred?

As far as #2 is concerned, I know that Tiger Woods could pick up a pair of 70-year-old, wooden-shaft golf clubs and play well. In golf parlance, I'm a hacker spraying the ball all over the place. I'd prefer to eliminate the variables and one of them is the issue of cards. Is flexible or stiff preferred for performing the DL?

Thanks as always.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hi Magicwiia,
I don’t see any reason for preferring a brand against another, DL speaking. A new deck will be more demanding, precision speaking.
Try to analyze what you do in order to identify the problem. Then the solution will be obvious.

Remember that the learning process is never linear. You progress step by step, sometimes backwards just before you improve.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Personally I like the feel and response of Penguin’s Bicycle Elites, and they make a nice crisp cracking sound when doing a snap double. Since the cards are thinner, the doubles are as well, which can’t hurt when trying to pass them off as a single card. They do warp easier than the Turners, but when both cards in a double become a little warped from the action of the double, it seems as though it can also lock them together a bit. The Elites also seem easier to farrow than the Turners, IMO, and they’re pretty good about flattening out when left in a card press between uses. Maybe you’ll prefer the Turners, as some people do, so it’s good you got both in order to judge for yourself. Whether the cards are thick or thin, you may notice that it’s easier to keep them aligned after you break in the deck a bit with residual finger schmutz.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
I'm brand new to card magic and trying to get the DL down. I've watched Jason England's video a hundred times and have been practicing Dr Daley's Instantaneous DL and Martin Nash's Knockout DL. I thought I was making great progress and then have seemed to hit a wall. I've noticed that with the Instantaneous method (and the Knockout to a lesser degree) the two cards are separating a bit making it noticeable there are two cards. I think my technique feels more natural and smoother but I seemed to have taken a step backward. Two questions:

1) What could be happening with my technique that is causing the two cards to separate as I do the first turnover?
2) I've been experimenting with stiffer cards (Turner Golds) and awaiting the more flexible ones (Bicycle Elite) which won't arrive until May. In achieving a fluid DL, would stiff or flexible cards be preferred?

As far as #2 is concerned, I know that Tiger Woods could pick up a pair of 70-year-old, wooden-shaft golf clubs and play well. In golf parlance, I'm a hacker spraying the ball all over the place. I'd prefer to eliminate the variables and one of them is the issue of cards. Is flexible or stiff preferred for performing the DL?

Thanks as always.

If your technique is good, cards really don't matter much. Learn to do a reliable DL with ANY deck, even the dog-eared, greasy deck in your mother's cupboard. Is a cupboard a thing anymore? I'm really old, I guess.
But seriously, you just have to put in the practice. Try different techniques until you get one that you can do any time, anywhere and with any deck. Vernon's DL is one that works every time. Yes there is "get-ready" involved, but the point is it works. Practice, practice, practice. It isn't the cards.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Just get to work and grind it out. Practice A LOT! are you able to hang with other magicians that you can work on technique with? just keep at it and one day, you won't even be able to do a crappy splitting double on purpose. It is frustrating and time consuming, but it will be one of the things that you will remember forever.

card stock has zero to do with your issues. its a lack of technique and experience. watch how you are sitting. are your hands tilting to much in any direction? little things make the diff.

remember to have fun and don't stress. find a magic support group. no jokes.
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
269 Posts

Profile of danny
Hi

don't fret about which cards to use. once you start getting it, you should be able to use any deck, although maybe not the beersoaked deck behind the bar of your local pub. I am not familiar with Jason's video, are you just using this a source of learning? I would encourage you to read some books, and research a variety of different double lift/turnovers to see which suit you the most, and then perhaps go back to the video once you understand the different nuances. Daley's method, although easier to acquire has always looked a bit unatural to me, and Dai Vernon talks about its drawbacks on the revelation series. Nash's is OK for turning over cards in a stud fashion, but understand that your singles need to mirror this action otherwise it will be a huge tip off.

I found Dai Vernon's double turnover to be a good choice when learning, and then maybe look at some of his advanced updates on this move.

Above all, keep practicing and remember to take breaks and rest. Rests are an important part of the learning process.

Good luck!
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The Knockout Double is HARD! You've chosen one of the hardest to learn. But it may be the best. Good luck: I think practice is the only solution.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Was making progress then... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL