The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » McDonald's Aces (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
I am wondering who was the inventor of McDonald's Aces, It might be in the name but I am not sure.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The plot was probably created by Hofzinser between 1857 and 1875 and was the finale of a trick called "The Power of Faith" (or more correctly translated according to Magic Christian, "The Power of Belief"). Also, the use of similarly gaffed cards in a four of a kind routine was in the Hofzinser's "Card Conjuring" (1931) as "The Four Kings".

There is also a description that predates MacDonald's version in the book My Best (1945) by J.G. Thompson, Jr. written up by Orville Meyer as the "Greatest Four Ace Trick."

"McDonald's Aces", also spelled "MacDonald’s Aces," was marketed by Jon W. “One-Arm Mac” MacDonald in the 1950’s and was first published in "More Inner Secrets" by Ganson and Vernon in 1960.
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
The McDonald's Aces was originally an effect from Hofzinser called "The Powers of Faith."

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=307
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Bringing the list of variations up-to-date, The Magic Nook adds Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's 2012 "McFiki's Jumbo Aces", which is also a variation of John Guastaferro's "Famous Aces".
https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ23/wizj23-......aces.htm

And grown up Qua-Fiki's 2017 "McD's Jumbo Aces" by Al-Quadir Marsh.
https://www.magicnook.com/WIZJ33/wizj33-10McDsJUMBOAces.htm
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Wow I so appreciate this knowledge thanks guys
davidn
View Profile
New user
Los Gatos, CA Gatos
9 Posts

Profile of davidn
I always thought that the concept was first written about by Hofzinser. I’ve been doing MacDonald’s Aces since 1952. IIRC it was about a year later that I purchased a Bicycle Jumbo Deck. Bicycle also made the Jumbo gaffs for MacDonald’s. I purchased them too. These were the old Bicycle “8082 Big Bicycle” decks that, unlike today’s Big Box decks, had thick paper cards that could be split. I’ve still got my original cards. They’re still in pretty good shape too. And I still do the trick. Jumbo MacDonald’s Aces was/is my all-time favorite trick. I’m just a hobbyist magician but I’d bet I’ve done this trick with the same cards over 1,000 times in the past 65 years. I let four spectators hold the (Jumbo size) packets and when that last person looks at those four Aces the reaction from everybody is more than great. This is a very good, very old and easy-to-do trick and I wonder why pretty much nobody does it any more.
Often wrong but never in doubt!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The MacDonald association came from his doing the trick and his having one arm. In the Stars of Magic book you can find his ace cutting routine. The Garcia New Stars of Magic item is sensible and a fine way to get started doing the assembly for audiences.
Audiences will inform you about what works for you. Watch and listen to them.

As a student of the craft it's really up to you to sort the ad copy from the useful advice,and the awkwardly contrived from the efficiently effective.

To the student: start smaller, say blackjack. Two hands dealt. Now proceed with the magic. Smile Today this would naturally lead to the poker situation where the winning cards are dealt among five players. You know the context and expected actions. Proceed.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Thanks for the great information provided, I did not realise it it had been around a long time
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
116 Posts

Profile of clars
Not to change the subject. Many years ago when I was young, I was at Mickey Hades in Seattle. I saw a guy perform a 4 ace routine that blew me away. He called it Pringle 4 ace routine. Anyone one know of this routine. I have never been able to find any info on this. Thanks
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Very old routine that came with bridge size cards. Same as current versions though regarding the included cards with that effect from so long ago - the Pringle ace trick
clars
View Profile
Regular user
Folsom Ca
116 Posts

Profile of clars
Rizzo, Thanks. Do you have any idea who would carry this? I can't find it at any of the majors venders. Thanks
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Copyright 1956
Haines House of Cards Norwood Ohio
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
If you are a fan of McDonald Aces routines, check this out:

https://www.lybrary.com/bammo-aces-p-923728.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » McDonald's Aces (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL