The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magnet physics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
I am building a wand and want to locate a magnet 1/3 of its length. I have aquired a bunch of n52 1” x 1/4” magnets.

If I put 2 magnets together am I doubling the strength of the magnetic field? Is it better to fill the middle third of the wand with magnets?

Thanks-in-advance
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
No, you're not doubling the strength, but for two stacked magnets it can come quite close (depending on magnet size). However, as you keep stacking, you will get less and less of an increase in strength (since every added magnet is farther away).

If you want to have a maximum magnetic pulling strength at the end of the wand (along the axis), you need to put the magnets as close to the end of the wand as possible, and perhaps stack a small number of magnets (any more than 3-4 will gain you very little in practice, I think). I'm assuming that your magnets are 1/4" in thickness (and 1" in diameter) here. If the dimension is 1" in length and 1/4" in diameter, then stacking is gaining you very little in terms of pulling power.
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
The magnets are 1” long x 1/4” diameter.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Ok, in that case I guess that you will not gain much additional strength by stacking. Do some tests to check. Find yourself a piece of steel, and put something of adjustable width between it and the magnet. Playing cards are great for this, as you can adjust the distance quite finely by adding or removing cards. So if the item you are trying to lift/hold with the magnet drops with for example 42 cards between it and the magnet, then stack another magnet to the first one, and see how many more cards you can add. Then assess whether stacking magnets are worth it or not.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Check out https://www.kjmagnetics.com/
not only do they sell about every size, shape and power out there, they have a massive knowledge base. I am on their email list and they send out pretty interesting magnetic experiments and findings from time to time.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
This is the company where I buy my magnets from.

Somewhere on their site they have a calculator which determines the strength of a magnetic field between 2 magnets. You can stack magnets end-to-end and get the change in the field strength.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magnet physics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL