The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polite or rude, what is the right thing to do? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Many years ago I took my daughter to the pool for her weekly swimming lesson. We sat down on the bleachers to wait for her class to begin. A young boy sitting a row or two up on the bleachers announced, "What's going on here!" very loudly at our arrival. His mom told him that we were allowed to sit there and calmed him down, then apologized to me as he was autistic. I smiled and said, "No problem." after all, no harm was done.

Yesterday my daughter and I were in the local movie theater. (seats are now assigned for some reason) While the trailers were playing, four people came and sat in the four seats next to me. The woman three seats down from me immediately began speaking out loud pretty loudly in a language I did not recognize. I waited patiently thinking she would quiet down once she got settled in. When she didn't, I leaned forward, waved to get her attention and put a finger to my lips. She nodded and continued speaking, though a bit less loudly. When the movie was starting I did something I have never done before, and leaned forward, and announced, "Will you please be quiet!" Two of the four got up and left. (including the loud mouth.) One of the remaining two told me, "I'm sorry, she's handicapped." I nodded. The woman who told me that spent much of the film texting, which was annoying, but I let go of that one.

I watched a kid (maybe 7 years old) on an airplane really go to town kicking the seat in front of him. I don't mean swinging his leg and bouncing into the seat, I mean full on kicking like he wanted to break the chair. Mom apologized to the person sitting in it telling him the boy was autistic. She did little to stop the boy from kicking.

Of course, I am sorry that some people are born with disadvantages and handicaps. I was born with one myself, though you can't see and probably wouldn't recognize it unless I told you about it. So, I would never make fun of someone or belittle them for having such issues. But it occurs to me that I paid for my seat the same as them. I think I deserve to have the expected experience that comes with the seat I bought.

So what to do? Obviously, it is polite and maybe the right thing to do, to say, well these people are limited in their abilities and we need to make room and accommodate them. On the other hand, I would never spend a two-hour flight getting kicked in the back pretty constantly. I guess the fellow getting kicked was a better man than I am since he did not ask for a seat change or any other action from the stewardess.

I don't see easy answers here. What do you think is right? What is the right thing to do?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Very touchy when it is kids because kids will be kids and I have never meet a parent that didn’t want their kids to behave.
They may not act like it at times but I’m sure deep inside they would like to have a prefect child. True the parent should
teach good manners, etc, but we must remember that this is a work in progress.

I don’t think there is an easy answer that would fit all situations. Much will depend on how the parent reacts.

But still, I agree it is hard to hold back sometimes.

Tom
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
For me, it's simply a matter of empathy. When I get irritated in similar situations I think of the child who has no intent to ruin my day. I think of the parent who has to spend a lifetime dealing with the child and dealing with all the other adults who no doubt vent their anger and frustration. It is in that moment I make the conscious decision not to add another burden to their lives. And it always leaves me happier.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
You are far more tolerable than I.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
You are far more tolerable than I.

I, for one, don't think that Steven is tolerable at all.

Smile

But he's awfully tolerant.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Whack!... right across the knuckles!
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Polite or rude, what is the right thing to do? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL