The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI Power by Secret Factory (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
MagicBarMan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MagicBarMan
If you guys want to see another couple of reviews of this check out EKaterina or Magicorthodoxy on YouTube. Some good info.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Psi Power – Secret Factory

Product description: Are you looking for a motorized reel, powered by a battery and that you can activate with a remote? Look no further, Psi Power is one of the best out there. But be careful, this reel isn’t made for IT stuff, it uses a thicker Nylon thread which is way more visible. But the way you’ll be using it is also different from the usual IT work so Psi Power has its own usage. Let’s find out if the price is right and how is the quality on this one!

Price and where to buy it: This is sold at $99.95 and you can find it here : www.magicdream.fr

What you get: You get a metal box with inside a lot of things: the main unit, made out of a 3D printer and the remove (which is actually bigger than the reel itself) also made out of 3D printing. The unit is big like a sugar cube, a bit bigger and flatter actually. You’re also provided with a charging cable (classic micro usb), a spool of thread and some pieces of white tack, so you get everything you need in order to start using the product. The video in itself is not perfect but you understand everything you need and it gets your ideas flowing. Overall, this is a steal I think, it works well and it’s not that expensive.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KltUx6SjcI

The pros and the cons: Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS:
This thing is powerful! Which is very good but also quite bad at the same time, if you ever get the thread back without anything attached to it, there is a high chance that it will break.
The thread is not invisible, this is not designed for close-up work but more for stage or parlor.

THE PROS:
The price is actually very good, you get a remote, a reel and many accessories for less than $100, which will allow you to do a lot of effects.
As I said in the previous pro, this thing is versatile, you can do a rising card and or flipping a object on the table, so you can really done many things with this tool.
It’s really well made and surprisingly sturdy, I let it fall a few times on the floor and nothing broke, even if it’s made out of 3D printing.
I never had a problem with it, I can change the thread very easily and even make another spool if I don’t have the time to rewind. The lid can be taken out and you can see inside, everything is quite “accessible”.

Overall rating: I like this a lot, you can do a lot of things with it, it’s small, powerful and reliable, a must have if you’re looking into this kind of effect, 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, the presentation here is the most difficult thing since you just have to press on a button to activate the gimmick, 2/5 stars.

Similar products: I know Scorpion by Bobby Motta is a similar tool but I didn’t get a chance to look at it.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website: http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
A update on mine, after editing the device to make it easier to re-thread, I took it to a residency. It overheated and as the motor is only stuck in with hot glue, it melted the glue and the motor came out. It is not worthless. I would highly recommend staying away or going for a better quality product!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
nath
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of nath
Just bought my PSI Power knowing that I'd be using it only rarely for a special occasion at a distance. Tried it a few times after watching tutorial and seemed to work well. On 4th attempt to knock over marker the thread broke. Opened up and was lucky that it didn't tangle. Fixed and tried again. Broke again very next try and tangled. Had to cut and rethread which was a pain. Now I've lost all confidence in it. Seemed like maybe a tad too long of a press on remote was the cause 2nd time when I tried activating with arm. Thread seems strong and I can't believe this happened twice already. Setup was perfect and threading was as well. Noise is also very loud if you were performing and it broke because you have no cover with object noise. Would be pretty embarrassing as you can't just walk away as if powers are weak that day 😉
nath
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of nath
Well... Tried again after rethread. Broke first try. Didn't tangle. Tried again. Broke. Didn't tangle. Tried again. Worked twice. Tried at distance of 10 ft. Broke and heard long whine again. Garbage!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I actually picked this up for a series of shows I'll be doing next month. It does (more or less) exactly what it says it will do.

It's a pretty strong reel. The thread is not the 'most invisible' I've worked with (Scorpion Reel is more invisible at a closer distance) but it's strong. For what the reel does, I think the thicker thread is necessary.

It doesn't give a lot of thread to use - 18cm I think is what they say in the video. For what I'm doing, that's plenty - but I would like to see a longer thread available. I picked up refills so maybe it's possible to just spool more on there, but I haven't tried so I don't know.

Some fine points -

It doesn't lock. Once you activate it, the mechanism retracts the thread until it hits too much resistance, then it releases. So if you have something on there like a Sharpie, it will put it to the reel and then drop it. It does occur to me, though - this would be great for animating a rocking chair.

It works on tension - It pulls until it hits a certain amount of resistance. If you don't anchor the thread properly, it will retract indefinitely and burn out the motor. I think this may be the issue previous posters have encountered.

If the thread breaks, which I've only had happen once, it can be a pain to find the end and get it going again. I've never had it tangle.

All in all, I think if it's used properly, this is a pretty solid addition to the electronic reel market. As I said previously, it basically does what it says it will do.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » PSI Power by Secret Factory (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL