The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Penn & Teller Teach the Art of Magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
165 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
...In their first-ever MasterClass, Teller breaks his silence as he and Penn teach their approach to creating moments of wonder and astonishment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwAEdokypA

Website https://www.masterclass.com/classes/penn......of-magic

It looks like $90 class or $180/yr and online..

17 lessons all together all listed on the site,
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of philraso
Wow. And people were mad they gave away thumb tips.
CardCarrier
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of CardCarrier
Love the idea of hearing Teller talk magic. I’ve read his stuff but nice to be able to hear him.
professortango
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of professortango
I bought the class and was really disappointed. The lessons are pretty short and kind of goes over theory generally and quickly while teaching very basic moves. The best lessons were the bonus chapters where they workshop a couple routines and you get to see them break down what works and what doesn't and why.
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Bummer to read that Professor. At least you got something out of it.
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
This class is consistent with the model for all of the other Masterclass courses. It basically assumes no prior knowledge, but that you have an interest in learning about the topic. As such, this is not a product specifically aimed at magicians. I got something out of it based on the discussions of theory, not so much the tricks. I have previously purchased the Steve Martin Masterclass and enjoyed it also.
mathewsherryk
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mathewsherryk
Excellent bits of knowledge. The lessons were too short though. Would have been desirable to have more performance. Smile
OzTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of OzTheMentalist
I was also disappointed in it. Even if aimed for beginners, beginners aren't going to enjoy the material.
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Just started watching Penn and Teller's Master Class. I had a friend give me the full subscription for all the classes as a Christmas present and they just announced P&Ts class as a new addition.

The first video (class?) they teach the French drop with aluminum foil balls (They also teach the full tinfoil ball and solo cup routine). They have 3 people that know absolutely nothing about magic and they work them through the process of how to hold their hands, when to make the drop, how to do the reveal, etc. I watched as they stumbled through it, but only after a few minutes, they started smiling and understanding the mechanics of it. Then they got really excited and laughing at how cool it was.

And that's the thing that did it for me. Watching these people see that spark of "oh I get it....this is awesome!" hit their faces. Watching people learn how its done and start to get the bug. That was worth the price of admission right there for me.

If you havent watched it yet, I think it would be a great resource to add to your collection.

I just have to say that this is my first post in...god knows how long. So happy that this little outpost on the internet still exists. I love you guys. Smile
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
OK, now I see the previous replies about this.

I watched the whole series of videos. Yes, its very basic. Yes, its going to be boring for most magicians, but to see the spark of magic in people's eyes, it was worth it.
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
I took Penn & Teller's Masterclass a while ago when I was completely new to magic. Honestly, their classes allowed me to get started even if they only covered the basics, and as a beginner I enjoyed them thoroughly. I wish they would have gone deeper into each area, but they are a good place to start.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2020, Ioannes wrote:
I took Penn & Teller's Masterclass a while ago when I was completely new to magic. Honestly, their classes allowed me to get started even if they only covered the basics, and as a beginner I enjoyed them thoroughly. I wish they would have gone deeper into each area, but they are a good place to start.

Welcome to a life-long addiction with no possibility of rehab.
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
Indeed the Masterclass is designed for beginners, but as many pointed out previously, you never know where you'll find some bit of hidden knowledge or interesting bits....
Ioannes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ioannes
That is too true MJE. Now my desk is cluttered with sponge balls, cards, and coins!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Penn & Teller Teach the Art of Magic (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL