The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Kennedy Magic - Tractor Beam (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
CONTEST

When I used to perform effects of this nature, I would almost always use a psuedo-scientific premise (I'm not really "funny" in a mainstream way and as such a clinical/academic nature fits with my personality and character) so how about this:

Combine it with the test tube and metal bar from an old Steve Dusheck effect Wundarbar. (I still remember the hours sitting on my bed with a white hankerchief as a 16 year old trying to set this up - was my first encounter with this type of modus operandus and a painful lesson in working with loose t***ad.) The rare metal has strange properties when exposed to concentrated light. No full levitation here as in the original routine, but the laser can be the impetus for the metal moving in the test tube, then knocking the cork out and sliding onto the table, at which point the laser causes the bar to roll away (or towards technically) on the table. Bar is then picked up by the performer before it goes off the table, and either placed back on the table with a thud or dropped into a spectator's hand so they can feel it's weight.

Regards,

Carter
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I just purchased this from SEO and can't wait for it to come. It may be a R**l or it may be a combo of that PLUS a *agn*t in the base (which would allow for more and varied options. Surprised at the people saying it is unnatural. This is a great effect and combined with another remote r**l plus maybe a loop and another *agn*t this could really be helpful to any of us. John Kennedy has be a creative force for us for decades. The man creates GREAT stuff. I have decks of his that let me penetrate coins and probably 20 other of his effects. Nothing disappoints me with this creator. So I just bought it and can't wait to start playing. I can say that a lot of what I see does NOT look like what people are saying it is. I'm excited and will report back once I've played with it.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
John Kennedy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Thank you gentlemen for participating in the giveaway contest. And the winner is...

... 3 second dramatic pause ...

Maxy! I have sent you a PM to get your address.

Quote:
On May 19, 2019, Maxy wrote:
Just a crazy idea came to my mind:
Use the laser to move the object little.Then point with the laser to your thumb,your thumb will glow using dlite (you are pinching the thumb and the pointing finger together now) , gesture with your pinched fingers to the object and it will move more. Point the laser again to your thumb to stop the dlite effect. It will look like you stole the laser and its power in your thumb.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Thank you very much Smile
I'm very happy that you liked my idea Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Smile
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Cool - congrats, Maxy. I really liked Funnyclown's "Laser Kitty" routine as well - funny, and a perfect use for a laser pointer.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I have received and worked with this product and have to say it is unique and excellent! It allows for traditional fixed hookups. And direct to object. It allows you to control the speed and the timing manually. This is awesome. It is totally invisible because it is in plain sight. You can push or pull objects. IF you have another device or Loo*s you use, adding this is disarming as it gives you multiples. This will be in my pocket from now on as an absolute staple and necessary tool. The best part of this is that it moves the magic from "psychic" to PHYSICS which is a plausible scenario of focused light capable of moving objects. For my style this is incredible. I stopped wearing a top hat in 1980. Times change. How to get into a levitating ring? Start with this as a physics demo. Move something. With light. then dispense with the light and your levitations are more believable. I turn off the laser and tell them my mind now generates infrared . . . . I LOVE IT!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
John Kennedy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Hello StarManager! I have recently discovered a new hook up with Tractor Beam and I recommend you try it. I would call it the "Thumb" hook up where you hook to your left thumbnail while holding the unit in your right hand. It's similar to the table hook up but gives you a moving anchor. I'm glad you're having fun with it!
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2019, John Kennedy wrote:
Hello StarManager! I have recently discovered a new hook up with Tractor Beam and I recommend you try it. I would call it the "Thumb" hook up where you hook to your left thumbnail while holding the unit in your right hand. It's similar to the table hook up but gives you a moving anchor. I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Aloha John Kennedy!

I figured out a similar hookup around my thumb base and also between the first and second fingers of the opposite hand. To get into the first/second hookup with the thread anchored in front of you to a glass, phone, table, just move your left hand to the RIGHT of the thread in the center air space between the Tractor Beam and the table secure space. Bring it out like a relaxed Karate chop with back of hand to the left, palm to the right. Then move the hand to the left. IT goes between 2nd and third finger doing a gesture and wraps around the back of the first finger. Now you can move an item "forward in the normal hookup" and then immediately the OPPOSITE direction without any hookup changes! Love this gadget! Just ordered and received three thread replacements because I am using this tool!!!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I wonder if you could put a little toy cat on the table and show how much he likes to chase the laser. Maybe you could show him a little afraid and running away from the laser beam until he gets brave and starts chasing it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
The kitty idea has already been mentioned in this thread.
Great minds think alike I guess.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Oh darn, I thought I had something there. Thanks for letting me know.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Maybe even better is to have a tiny ball of yarn on the table and the KITTY is "Invisible" . . . Here Kitty kitty . . . Get the yarn . . . and the ball rolls . . .
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Oh my. Must start saving.

Click here to view attached image.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2019, Doc Willie wrote:
Oh my. Must start saving.

No need to save. This is JUST the type of product we all need, which really changes our presentations for the better, and for which credit cards were made!!! Go get one!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Haven’t played with it yet and wished I’d thought of this with the contest. I thought after I used it as described I could use it with the product Heat to make the balls of foil hot in a specs hand. Real Star Wars like!😎
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
Haven’t played with it yet and wished I’d thought of this with the contest. I thought after I used it as described I could use it with the product Heat to make the balls of foil hot in a specs hand. Real Star Wars like!😎

Great idea! I love it and will use it. Very Star Trek rock heating with a phaser . . . people identify with that stuff! Good creative thinking!

Also for those on this thread, I'm getting great reactions to this product and also using Loops. Especially the phantom touch. Put out your hand . . . You'll feel the touch from the light when it hits the back of your hand (turn on tractor and half or more say they FEEL it! THEN - put tractor down and tell them you can do this without the light and just your mind. You've trained for this for years. Then execute phantom touch with Loop. This little tractor is starting to be an act with these additions. Love it.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On May 8, 2019, gabelson wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2019, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Hey guys, people know that you can't move objects with a laser pointer. Just like they know you can't levitate a woman by waving your hands or vanish a coin by hanging it on an invisible hook.

These premises are given tongue in cheek. Still, some people might fully accept the premise (children for instance) but even they will be impressed if you fool them even if they attribute it to some amazing tech,

The premises you've mentioned are indeed tongue in cheek, but there's still far more mystery to them than to this effect. There's a "paper trail" to this one, so to speak. Yes, audiences know you can't levitate a woman by waving your hands, but it's still a complete MYSTERY, particularly after the magician passes a hoop over the levitated person, dispelling any notions of wires supporting her. Where is the "logical disconnect", (as the late Bob Cassidy would say), in this effect?

Again- just my opinion. As soon as you show the audience what "causes" the object to move, even if it's a laser pointer, a ton of wind is let out of the sails. What makes PK work so strong is apparently there is NO cause other than the power of your mind, or whatever "power" you are trying to demonstrate. What impresses the audience here? What drops their jaw? The fact that they think light can't cause movement? That's certainly not enough. Laser technology is advancing at a very rapid pace. There's no reason that people won't believe that either the light, or something else coming out of that pointer, is moving the object. There's no other place for their mind to go. Sorry, I still don't see the appeal, and the comparison you offered- levitating a person- is far more mysterious, inexplicable and dramatic.

Agreed! I then thought maybe if the laser pointer looked like a magic wand. ...Still, NAH!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
[quote]On Jun 23, 2019, EZrhythm wrote:
[quote]On May 8, 2019, gabelson wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2019, MeetMagicMike wrote:

Hey guys, people know that you can't move objects with a laser pointer. Just like they know you can't levitate a woman by waving your hands or vanish a coin by hanging it on an invisible hook.
There's no reason that people won't believe that either the light, or something else coming out of that pointer, is moving the object. There's no other place for their mind to go. Sorry, I still don't see the appeal, and the comparison you offered- levitating a person- is far more mysterious, inexplicable and dramatic.

Totally disagree. I think the above statement is "magician speak" and not my experience with this product with real audiences. In fact your example is the very support for it working. Waving your hands or a coin hook are exactly as magical as waving a light that everyone knows can't possibly be moving an object. The light actually is magical and enchanting in and of itself. I?'m an owner of this effect and I'm saying it is all about how you manage the expectations and the story with your audience. Certainly nobody over 8 years old thinks a new pocket laser really moves stuff. If they do, you get even MORE cred for showing them first! Just enjoy this and know audiences love it and it is its own self contained misdirection!
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
OK. I got it. Held off long enough to decide it I really wanted it enough to risk the cash. Yes, of course a Star Trek act MUST HAVE this. That being said, here are my initial impressions.

It does cool stuff, about what I expected. My obvious use is to pull a Micro Machines shuttlecraft across the table. But then the trick is done, unless I can figure something else out.

HOWEVER,

I quickly got the I T tangled in a hopeless mess and had to replace it. It reminded me of why I do not work with the stuff. I HATE IT! I did manage to replace it and get it working again, but I think I am going to need to buy a large batch of replacement. That being said, I do not feel comfortable performing in public with it yet. I am going to have to break a lot more in practice before I have it down.

So, if you are comfortable working with you-know-what, go for it. Otherwise be willing to learn.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Doc - Keep tension on it during wind back. Buy a few very inexpensive replacement reels of IT from John and pop them in when needed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Kennedy Magic - Tractor Beam (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL