The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cut and Restored Necklace (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I’ve become intrigued by the plot of this effect, which I’ve only read about and never had any direct experience with or knowledge of.

My initial question, in wanting to learn more about it, is: is there just one main method of accomplishing this effect, or are there multiple alternate methods that are in common/popular use?

In other words, with regard to marketed versions, do things like Fedko’s Beads of Prussia, and Kanter’s or Abbott’s Arabian Bead Mystery, and Albenice’s Enchanted Necklace, and Kent Mortimer’s cut and restored necklace (which was available and still listed at Penguin Magic, but now discontinued), all work the same way? Or are different mechanisms and methodologies in play among them?

I’ve also just discovered a “cut & restore necklace” available on Amazon for $15 from MilesMagic (or MilesRetail), which appears to be a shop in India. Description sounds much like Penguin’s/Mortimer’s effect. Can anyone speak to its quality?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Can't speak as to this particular trick, but ...

I use one developed decades ago - using a different method than any of the above. (cheating on "are different mechanisms/methodologies in play?)

1) a solid chain with large stone pendant/medallion is given to a spectator "for protection" or to "warm up."
2) you desire the stone medallion for an effect and have to get it off the chain.
3) you retrieve the necklace and cut it with a wire cutter - links flying all over the place.
4) the medallion is removed and the chain dumped on the table,
5) you perform an effect with the medallion such as changing the color of the stone in a spectator's hand.
6) the medallion vanishes.
7) the chain is pick up and the necklace is completely restored and possibly gifted to the assistant.

Yup - the necklace is not gimmicked in any way and can be freely handled by a spectator.
The real power of the magic comes from no one expecting a restoration at all - and the necklace being in full view the entire time.

The problem is following this effect with something more feeble.

write me ken@eversway.com if desired - a gift to you for many excellent posts in the past.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
John Fedko’s Beads of Prussia is a different effect where individual beads are placed in a clear tube by the magician and spectator. They then magically thread into a necklace. This said, Beads of Prussia is a general name also used for the cut and restored effect you described. It is a very old effect and was the predecessor of the threaded needle and razor blade effects.

Arabian Beads is the version used by John Albenice & UF Grant and distributed by Abbott Magic. Davenport distributed the Great Carmo's version under the Carmo Beads name.

They both used the same underlying method with nuances on implementation. Kent Mortimer’s cut and restored necklace looks to work off same method but from video cant verify how closely they match the other two versions. Also, it would seem stronger to follow traditional approach of beads going into a clear glass rather than an opaque paper cone so not sure why it was done that way.

There are definitely other methods for the effect. I wrote up my version for Top Hat magazine but it ended publication before release. I didn't do it as a cut and restore but it could be done that way, e.g. cutting beads from three different mardi gras bead necklaces. I start with three cups each with a different color of loose beads (red, white, blue). Three spectators each come on stage one after another choosing a color, verifying the beads are loose, and then pouring their cup in a clear bowl. So you might get blue, white, then red. The beads are then stired together. A scooper (measuring cup) is then dipped in bowl and filled to overflowing with beads. These are poured in mouth followed by thread. Then the beads are taken from the mouth magically strung on the thread alternating in the color order chosen, ie blue, white, red. The color order piece adds a sort of "sands of the desert" flavor. The method employed is more similar to that for the needle/razor effect.

There is also a version I have seen written up that used a m***** g**** to create the restoration.

This would be a good topic for a monograph. The magicians who made it a signature effect were all top notch.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:
Kent Mortimer’s cut and restored necklace looks to work off same method but from video cant verify how closely they match the other two versions. Also, it would seem stronger to follow traditional approach of beads going into a clear glass rather than an opaque paper cone so not sure why it was done that way.

So took a closer look at video of Mortimer's version. It is a different variation which restores the necklace as a complete loop rather than as a strand. It also can be handed out afterwards. So pluses and minuses.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Very interesting. As you said, this topic could sustain a monograph. Perhaps a thread in Secret Sessions could more openly compare/contrast/evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of different methods for accomplishing the overall effect, and/or variants thereof.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
There was a very cool idea in the January 1951 Linking Ring by J. Edward Powell. The necklace is cut with the beads going into glass as normal. Then thread is sealed in an envelope held by spectator. Beads are then poured from glass into an envelope which is sealed and given to another spectator. The thread is then vanished from the one envelope and restored with the beads in the other envelope. So it adds an "in the hands" aspect to the restoration.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
They now sell "teething ring" necklaces with several large beads and many smaller in between.

I am working on a routine in which the necklace is cut to get at the 3/4" separate large ones to use in Chop cup or C&B or other.
In the end the necklace is restored, except that now the large bead are together.

On the baby theme I use a Christening cup.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cut and Restored Necklace (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL