The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » John Nevil Maskelyne and the Eclipse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Friends,

Perhaps this old news to you, but just in case you missed the recent restoration of some long-forgotten film:

https://www.universetoday.com/142381/the......estored/

Maskelyne was always one of my heroes, and likewise eclipses never fail to amaze me. So, here we get two for the price of one!

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Superb find! I had not heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
This was excellent. I had never heard of this before.
JoeLyons
View Profile
New user
Although I've lurked here for years, i only have
24 Posts

Profile of JoeLyons
Nevil's father always claimed to be related to this guy.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Doc TARBELL had a "version" of the ECLIPSE. I saw it presented at Abbott's Get Together, years ago.

George Boston, in his book, "INSIDE MAGIC", mentions Tarbell presenting it at the Chicago Opera House, "eons" ago, when Tarbell "four walled" the Opera House (in the '40s, I believe). With his "suitcase show", using a table from the theater prop room, Doc was charging the same ticket price as Harry Blackstone Sr. with his box car full of illusion props!

I'm getting forgetful at my age! I can't remember for sure, who did it at Abbott's. I KNEW both of them, but my brain is not functioning today!!! I THINK THAT it was the late Bob Parrish, and the late Phil Willmarth. Maybe someone else can verify that.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Dick,

Quote:
On Jul 4, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Doc TARBELL had a "version" of the ECLIPSE. I saw it presented at Abbott's Get Together, years ago.

I'm not quite with you on this. You saw a film of his at Colon? Was Tarbell an astronomer or cinematographer in addition to his theatrical talents?

I thought Maskelyne was the first to film an eclipse, but could be wrong.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Thomas,

I saw a LIVE presentation at Abbott's GTG. IIRC it was about 25 years ago. It was introduced as an illusion that had been performed by Harlan Tarbell.

I am not very familiar with Maskelyne, except for the "War Magician".

Perhaps Tarbell's was a different illusion? His involved lighting, a "steel" disc about 18" in diameter two frames (somewhat like the old "Hong Kong Dove Production) I don't recall too many details, but the effect, IIRC was a transposition of the "steel" disc from one of the frames to the other.

BTW, Doc was a naturopathic physician. I don't think he was an astronomer, or cinematographer. Incidentally, he was a nudist. He booked many nudist camps along the southern shore of Lake Michigan. The fellows at the Wizard Club would ask him: "Doc, where do you pin your pull?"

Hope this helps!

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » John Nevil Maskelyne and the Eclipse (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL