The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pin Project by Luke Turner (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
England
291 Posts

Profile of Tom Wong
Mentalistry | Providing quality products to Mentalists across the globe
www.mentalistry.com
sliwoody
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sliwoody
I purchased the Book "The Pin Project" By Luke Turner this morning, its a book that cost £25 with various methods of working out a 4 digit PIN code, here is my initial thoughts after a quick read:

The Preposterous Pin Prediction

Luke has a unique writing style where he breaks everything down piece by piece, including the scripting to pull this off.
At first I found it a bit hard to follow along as the method and the script is interlaced and periodically broken down so that every part is explained.
By the end of this first effect, I had to go back over it to separate the method from the scripting to get my head around it and that's when the light bulb moment happened!
My initial thought was "Dam that is so clever!"

I had realised the potential of this very, very clever method.
IMO this is the jewel in the book.

An insanely clever method which can be used with lots of other effects!

There is a chance that this will fail and people may be put off by this, but Luke explains in detail a way around this to make it 100% should it start going in the wrong direction.
You will be aware straight away if it is starting to go in the wrong direction and you can instantly pull it back with Luke's "way out".

I will do a few performances for friends over the next few days to see how this effect plays out,but from my initial reading and thoughts it gets a solid 9/10.

A Peculiar PIN

This is Luke's original effect that lead to the "The Preposterous Pin Prediction".
You can see that it has some clever thinking behind it, but the method is not as clean cut and well rounded as the previous effect.
Definitely worthy of being in the book though to see how the effect has grown.
Again the method behind it could be used for various other effects.
6/10

A Precarious PIN

This one has a fantastic presentation that could be used with the first effect!
Unfortunately this one is going to need a bit more time than a quick read to get my head around before I give it an honest review.
Not that its over complicated, but you will for sure need to fully understand the method and go over it a few times before trying this one out.
I will come back to this in a few days.

A (P)silent PIN

This is an approach which requires the reader to know a method by Fraser Parker and Peter Turner which is found in Fraser Book of Angels.
(I don't have the said book so unfortunately I don't know what this is)

A Phantom PIN

This is a technique which can be used so you don't have to ask the spectator to say any of the digits of their pin.
This is more dependant on your surroundings and how many you are performing for rather than an effect.
Its an addition idea which is good to see included.

CONCLUSION
For £25 I think this is a Superb book, Luke style of writing isn't necessarily my cup of tea, I would prefer the method, presentation and scripting to be kept separate as it can come across as confusing.
But the Jewel IMO is definitely the first effect. The method is super clever and definitely usable in the real world. Its not some 2bit BS thrown together just to make a quick sale. (like some of the crap I have brought in the past)
IMO this effect alone is worthy of the £25. The extras are just that, extras! Worthy of reading and are a welcome inclusion.
I will post another review after a few days performing.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2019, sliwoody wrote:

But the Jewel IMO is definitely the first effect.

We are all different in our preferences and styles. I must clarify that although I'm not bad with numbers, I hate them in mentalism. The reason is that usually they mean tiring your audience with calculations. With that in mind, I personally think that the jewel of this work is the routine THE PRECARIOUS PIN. It's the only one I actually tried, because it is EASY for both the performer and the participant, it's funny and it works.

My two cents

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Bit of an odd choice to market the book as six methods when one of the methods is not explained and requires you to own Fraser Parker’s Book of Angels which costs 150 pounds (and is out of print).
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I will review this tonight if possible.

I have been reading it and trying some of the stuff out.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2019, Tom Wong wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2019, scott0819 wrote:
Bit of an odd choice to market the book as six methods when one of the methods is not explained and requires you to own Fraser Parker’s Book of Angels which costs 150 pounds (and is out of print).

Direct from the author (Luke Turner):

"Hi, when I wrote that the book has six methods, I took it for granted that the combination of the idea and reference to fraser and Peters work would suffice to shed a new light to the plot. I wrongfully assumed that this ploy was more well known than it seems to be.

I tried to have the initial ad copy on the form of a review in order to maximise clarity but I guess we should have been clearer on that.
You are right. And therefore would like to clarify that up."

No worries, Luke. I expect there is more than enough value in the methods that are fully explained. I just find it frustrating when books refer me to sources that aren't readily available.

One thing to note, the MindFX adcopy (and sliwoody's review) only states six effects, your adcopy above states seven effects including one called "A Perfect PIN".
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I just finished reviewing another pin divination from Ori Ascher called Mavoch, and I have studied both books, Mavoch and Pin Project.

This review is for Pin Project.

If you want to know the differences between both releases, you can see the other thread, but I can say that both pieces of work compliment each other really well, because you have a myriad of principles at your disposal to perform this or that.

So who is Luke Turner?

I only casually knew him from Out of This Country I believe it was called where he guessed the country you were thinking of all propless.

Anyway, Pin Project is his latest, and he explores different ways in being able to divine a thought of pin.

This approach reminded me a lot of like a Which Hand effect, in which the spectator plays the role of a liar and/or truth-teller and you can tell them regardless the pin, and they can even switch roles, and you will always know.

The highlight of the book for me, and I think for many is called a Precarious Pin. This is very easy to perform, and once you read it, you can practice on yourself before trying it out on people. Method is simple, and allows you to concentrate on your presentation.

Another good one is the first effect of the book called A Preposterous Pin Prediction that has a lot of elements intertwined within and layered and very good method that will have you smiling.

Some of the items from the book, kind of let you have that, why didn't I think of that, moment, because the method, though simple in terms, is layered in such a way due to the presentation being presented.

It all comes down to your likes, and what you want your mentalism to look like.

In this case for example, the effect I liked the most was a Precarious Pin, that I can apply any time, anywhere, with anyone, and I can then follow it up with Ori Ascher's Pin My Thoughts, or vice versa.

In one version you tell them their PIN, or made up PIN, and then you switch roles, and have them guess your PIN. doesn't get any better than that.

You have a Pin repertoire ready to perform at a moments notice, and you do not have to use playing cards.

If you are a fan of Fraser Parker, Peter Turner, Nico Heinrich, this will certainly spark ideas and I am sure that you will gain something from reading it.

This has also been endorsed by top mentalists in our field, so it goes to show that Luke is on the right path. Cannot wait for Luke's future releases!

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Paul V
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Paul V
What can I say about PIN Project by Luke Turner, I absolutely love it!

I’ve learned loads of different methods for Pin Divinations over the years but I felt like there was always something missing or the method wasn’t always achievable through lack of not having props etc.

With Luke Turners PIN Project, he covers all avenues. I don’t want to spoil it or accidentally tip any of the methods but trust me when I say this, If you don’t get this you’re most certainly missing out on quite a number of methods on how to work out someone’s PIN Number, whether it’s theirs or one that’s been made up on the spot.

With the PIN Project, your not just learning methods & techniques, you’re also learning the process every step of the way on how it’s being achieved and how apparently you’re just plucking the numbers from the participants mind. There’s something for everyone here and there’s also no reason why all the methods explained shouldn’t be tried as Luke has covered every possible outcome or snag that may or may not crop up.

His writing style and explanation of everything contained in the book is a joy to read and makes it easily understandable.

Luke even fooled me over Social Media!

I can’t wait & look forward to what Lukes fantastic mind comes up with next!

Paul Valentine
SteveTheAmazing
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit,MI
111 Posts

Profile of SteveTheAmazing
While not for me, personally, I admire the amount of information and care that is present in Luke Turner's recent work. He gives you his best version of the effect and then breaks it down for multiple different performance scenarios. You can tell he aimed to release a solid project. It's nice to see something that is more than a one effect download.

- S,
Ori Ascher
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ori Ascher
I have had a few chances to perform Precarious PIN, which is my absolute favorite, and it is amazing.
Easy to do, minimalistic and hard hitting.
This went straight into my close up set.
phanindhra
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of phanindhra
Love this effect! Luke is turning out to be a great mentalist and someone to look up to in the days to come.
sleightlymental
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of sleightlymental
I first heard about this Project when on a skype call with Luke. He then performed the Precarious Pin (found in the book) to me live. I was amazed to say the least.
It looked and felt to me the same as with a billet peek, but without me ever needing to write it down. When I found out how it worked and that it actually is as reliable as a billet peek I became obsessed! I studied the hardest version in the book he teaches (the one he showed me) and I now perform it all the time! This is my go to pin guess wich I perform almost everyday.
Luke teaches a lot of great concepts and variations in the book. I personally reccomend putting in the effort to learn the Precarious Pin, but every variation will work just fine.

Overall I am now in love with Lukes work and for my final words I can only say:
This is practical Mind reading that is reliable and completely propless in nature. Luke you made the Pin guess much more fun. Throw away your billets!

Ben Sleight
UKNeil
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
Is The Precarious Pin method written up correctly? Paragraphs seem to contradict each other.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
sleightlymental
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of sleightlymental
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2020, UKNeil wrote:
Is The Precarious Pin method written up correctly? Paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

For any questions, you can write Luke directly either on Facebook or at his email luketurnermentalism@gmail.com

He is really approachable and nice to talk to.

Have a nice day!

Greetings Ben Sleight.
Luke_turner
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Luke_turner
I finally was able to create an account on here.
If anyone has any questions,I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Luke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Pin Project by Luke Turner (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL