The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Irk of the day (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I was looking for a gift item based on a certain design.

I found a company that offered "handmade" custom items. Turns out that they are made of plastic on a 3D printer.

Now, I realize that Etsy has pushed for "handmade" to include items made by several people, or even assembled by one person and made by another, but ...

any standard definition of "handmade" means "not by machine." Being "individualized" or "custom" does not make something "handmade"

Perhaps the trend to mangle our language to fit needs is also handmade. Sigh!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would you not assume something that said handmade is not made by machine? Seems perfectly reasonable. It has a specific meaning to me as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Over here in the UK we have what is called Trading Standards that deal with false advertising etcetera. The law on it all is very complex. A neighbour of our was a top Trading Standards officer who now works privately correcting adds for companies all day long. Sometimes it is only a word he changes to make it legal, say from hand made to hand-built.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why would you not assume something that said handmade is not made by machine? Seems perfectly reasonable. It has a specific meaning to me as well.

I don't understand your response at all. I try not to assume anything.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm not sure that there can be a definition of "handmade" that is going to suit everyone. You're going to be either too narrow or too wide for some. Is a bowl produced on an electric potter's wheel handmade? On the other hand, how about if the bowl is produced in a factory where 30,000 other bowls a day are being made by laborers? (See, for example, "handmade carpets.")

Granted that 3-D printers would seem to push past the grey area in most everybody's definition. But the word "handmade" is like the term "all-natural." It means essentially whatever anybody wants it to mean, and hence is meaningless.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Chris Wasshuber, over at Lybrary.com,
has been publishing some of these,...'irks'.

My favourite was 'sugar free'.

If something has less than 0.5 grams of sugar, per serving;
it can be called: Suger free.

Tic Tacs, conviniently 0.49 grams,..per,
call themselves,...'Sugar free'(!).
When in reality,..
they are 99.7% Sugar. 🙃

hmmmm.

öK Dökey.
gallagher
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everything fresh, local and handmade is defined as inferior.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

I don't understand your response at all. I try not to assume anything.

I was agreeing. When something says handmade you assume it is hand made. If you didn't make row assumption there wouldn't be anything to be irked about now would there?

It is perfectly reasonable to expect such a thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I type with my "hands".

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And a beautiful hand-crafted post it is.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Irk of the day (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL