The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic books- Recommendations (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Harry is on the greatest magician DVDs, and on more than one.
I did not recognize his name initially, but did go back and watch some of his recorded information and I did recall him on television as a kid for teaching you how to remember things. All those infomercials that teach you how to remember stuff is copying Harry's work.

I read some of Harry's Apocalypse series online and if you just want quantity of tricks it's the way to go. But it assumes you have the basics down, and was too much for me. I had written him off at that point. But I knew enough to listen. He kept saying, beginners should read the Magic Book. I finally was able to get a copy of his Magic Book. All of a sudden, you realize he breaks everything down for an absolute beginner. This book took some serious time to write. When he is saying he wrote a book for YOU, he really means he wrote it for anyone who wants to learn card magic.

It is probably painful for him to see the same questions asked over and over again, when he wrote a book explaining the answer.

One major thing I have noticed from these self promoters is that good things do not always last. Meaning if you do not grab it when its available, it may be gone tomorrow. We are lucky to have the author that you can read his book and ask questions about it.
I have to imagine Harry is well retired, he is in his 90s, and does this for fun. After all, you never stop doing magic.
I do think Harry should record in high definition with a magician wannabe from YouTube or upcoming guys and teaches them tricks. I think it would increase his sales, and his legendary status.

My favorite Harry trick

https://youtu.be/DuER_efoMe4
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, TomB.B.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
I reckon anyone who's been around and in the business as long as Harry deserves to be cut some slack.

Can we move on?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Kong! I agree 100%!

From their comments, I don't think that they (Josh and drylid, will be "around" too long, I've had the privilege of knowing most of the top cardicians of the last 60 years. I mean people like Alex Elmsley, Ricky Jay, Ed Marlo, Johnny Thompson, Charlie Miller, Jon Racherbaumer, Dai Vernon, et al and, Harry is one of them.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Https://youtu.be/4aT7PhrKJ3c

This is from 2016, but the names on the video of those that did not make it are quite impressive. Not everyone in the video are still with us, so we are very lucky to have one of the living legends. This is a great watch, and even some of the people poke Harry all in good fun! Lots of kind words from people Harry influenced.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Lord Anacho, mlippo & Enders Game all suggested Giobbi's Card College books. I am curious as to why only Featherly deserved a disrespectful response?
I see nothing about his post that can be argued with...
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
There was nothing inherently wrong with his first post. Some of us are new and trying to share anything we have that has helped us. Harry has his charm that he is legendary for. Rather than listening and learning, he decided to leave. He stated he had some negative bias from other people and was turned off. When a legend speaks, you listen carefully. This is no different than a child interrupting an adult at the dinner table.

Hopefully, he took away to read Harry's book, learn from it, and come back. We have lots of great authors here that promptly answer PMs. I am very honored and gracious that both Dick and Harry have replied to me (this is not a Tom, Dick, Harry joke). The one that has stuck out to me is these guys just don't offer just advice, but even friendship.

That is the "mistake" made. He missed a chance of saying, I can learn from one of the best.
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Hi Featherly, sorry I'm late to this thread. I think your recommendation was top notch. Card College is a great progressive way to learn magic as opposed to a big book of tricks to jump around in. As someone who grew up in rural Michigan with no mentors nearby, I wish I had had Card College. I did have Harry Loyrayne, which I treasure, but Card College is a better start for a magician. Best Wishes (PS: Don't miss The Books of Wonder.)
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, Featherly wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Obviously Featherly knows nothing about my books. Careful who you "listen" to.

I see everyone who has advised against this forum was correct. It’s a shame I can’t make a recommendation based on what I’ve read (I haven’t had the pleasure of reading your material) to another user without being criticized while someone else pushes their own agenda.

I was already turned off from all of the self promoting I see in these forums.

I have a lot of respect for the people here. Unfortunately, if people want to brush opinions aside so easily (especially people of HL’s stature) I’m in the wrong place.

Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic books- Recommendations (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL