The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A good businessman knows how to find the “customers” that no one else is thinking about. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I saw this subject line in an opinion piece in today's Wall Street Journal. The story actually had nothing to do with marketing.

Anyway, I thought it was inspiring.

Enjoy,

Gerry
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks, Gerry, what a great topic and premise to consider.

I must say much of the success I am enjoying today was greatly based on this premise. In the 1970s I envisioned something that didn't exist. I pursued it and made it become my reality. It not only changed my life but is now an established performance market that never existed before which I am very proud of.

The success I had with it made me always aware and on the lookout for NTR opportunities, which has always been a part of my own businesses, as well as my consulting, coaching, mentoring, and trainings.

Great topic!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I have always chosen to fish where there are no other boats. Good topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Thanks guys.

Gerry
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
What a great topic indeed. Thanks Gerry.

Very true that a good businessman knows how to find the “customers” that no one else is thinking about. I would like to add they also know how to ‘educate’ potential customers that may otherwise be looked over.

In 1972 when I first started selling life insurance the company (Woodmen Of The World) had a training program for those wanting to work full time. I attended the training in Omaha Neb, it was something like a two or three week program, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. Much like a bootcamp. One of the things we learn was how the National Cash Register Company became so successful in business.

Years ago stores would keep money in a cigar box and used an adding machine to total up the customer items. The inventor of the cash register first thought he had a product that would sell like hot cakes however he failed to make it a commercial success. It wasn’t easy selling a fancy high price box to replace a cigar or shoebox that had always worked just fine. There just didn’t seem to be any need for it.

A man by the name of John H. Patterson, looking for a new business venture, bought the patent rights to the machine. In 1884, he and his brother also bought the company that built the cash registers, and Patterson renamed it National Cash Register Company (NCR)

No retail business today would dream of doing business without a cash register. Thanks to John Patterson training his salespeople to educate the customer and explain all the ‘benefits’ of owning a cash register. He created a huge demand by simply educating potential customers.

One of my favorite Patterson quotes that sums up business success well is, “To survive, men and business and corporations must serve”

The same is true with life insurance; very few customers believe they need it until all the why’s are explained to them. Magic shows are no different, nobody needs one. They could just as easy find some other type entertainment (cigar box) to do the job. Sometimes all it takes is explaining ‘why’ magic is the better choice.

Many in the sales industry today view John Patterson as the greatest salesman of all time. Those wanting to read a little more about him and is success can find a good article here:

https://www.sellingpower.com/2010/02/02/......-pioneer

Tom
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Hey man don't you try to get in on my territory of serving the cat ladies demographic
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Legendary direct response marketer Dan Kennedy used to say: Pioneers come home with arrows in their backs.

Not always a good idea to fish where there are no fisherman ... maybe there's no fish.

Then again, there's always "blue ocean strategy."

~Oscar
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are certainly not claiming he invented those thoughts are you?

Those ideas way pre date my grandfather, who used to express them regularly. He also probably pre dates Kennedy by a wide margin.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
If you're talking to me, I'd say those thoughts go back to the pioneers who came back with arrows in their backs.

Oscar
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was just curious as to why it seemed you wanted to attribute them to Kennedy?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
For all I know, Kennedy was quoting your grandfather.

That's simply what I heard him say ... are we done?

Oscar
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was just curious as to why you attribute him? Sorry. My bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
No, its my bad. I miss-read you.

Im a big fan of Kennedy and have heard him use that phrase many times, it seems its not original to him.

We're good.

Oscar
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is our tendency (Unintentionally I'll grant.) to attribute thoughts to the first place we hear them. No harm at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A good businessman knows how to find the “customers” that no one else is thinking about. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL