The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumb Stocks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Thumb Stocks are currently being sold on Hank Lee's Web site. Anyone have a pair? They claim that they can be inspected? Can the spectator attempt to get out of them?
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Mark Cannon shows this nicely on his Magic Castle Lecture tape from Cannon's. They can be put on a spectator, who won't be able to get out. They can be inspected. The performer can escape.

These are fun! They are cheap. They can be mysterious or funny, depending how you play it. I like them. Mine are from Cannon's.

Yours,

Paul
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes they can be placed on a spectator’s thumbs and they will not ascertain the secret. In fact as long as they are handed out intact no one will learn the secret.

The thumb stocks are relatively low tec and easy to use. What you get is two lengths of wood that have been drilled through the depth for thumbs and drilled through the width at the ends to accept two bolts with wing nuts. You cannot hand them out as component parts (separate parts) and expect the secret to fly right by a sharp spectator.

There is a small action that must take place when putting the stocks on yourself.

The thumb stocks are best used for a thumb tie routine. They have to be disassembled again to get them off your thumb. Note, only one thumb escapes the other is held securely (that is unless you have cover and time to open them and release the other trapped thumb).

I used to make these years ago. I made them from plans found in a 1960’s Popular Science magazine special edition showing/exposing many popular tricks. In my day (late 60’s and 70’s - sold them out of Douglas Magicland in Dallas in the 60's and Al's Magic Shop in D.C. in the late 70's) I made and sold a set for a big $10.00!! I made custom sizes to insure they would fit the smallest or largest thumbs.

I really never got into using them, as I tended to use an easier and more deceptive methodology. I performed (and still perform) Irv Weiner’s “Red Tapes”.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Harry I love Irv Weiner's red tape routine. I picked one up a few months ago and haven't really worked with it yet. I have only seen this routine performed once. If you're ever so inclined I would love to hear some of the subtle touches you use in your routine.
Best regards, Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumb Stocks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL