The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question about Annemann's Phantom Artist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

katarinag
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of katarinag
I'm about to perform this effect as part of a short routine (in a couple of weeks) and I'm toying with the idea of updating the "celebrity" to someone more contemporary. I'm sure everyone still knows who Marilyn Monroe is but I think it would be fun to use a face that's of-the-moment.

Anyway, my question is just a kind of opinion poll because I'm having a tough time deciding: what celebrity would you choose, if you were to update this effect with a new, super-recognizable present day person?
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
I think you need to use someone who is recognizable to most people. If you use someone like Taylor Swift or Cardi B, many older audience members may not know them. I believe that Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise, or someone of that caliber are known well enough by people across a wide range of ages to be suitable.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
You don't need anyone more contemporary but someone that Everyone will recognize. Usually famous dead people will fit perfectly. don't overthink, Elvis , Claplin or Lincoln would work.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In The Wizards' Journal #18, you'll find a trick called "Force Field" which is about a method for forcing a super jumbo sized card containing pictures of various monsters for Halloween, celebrities, presidents, and so on. Take a look at the advertising page and see if there's anyone there you recognize.
https://www.magicnook.com/WIZJ18/wizj18-02ForceField.htm

Instructions for an updated (we have computers these days) version of Percy Naldrett’s 1937 Phantom Artist, is included for the reveal of the monster or celebrity that you forced.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There's a surprise! Another plug...
I've asked to be banned
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, IAIN wrote:

And I suppose your advertising your book ECCE LOQUOR at $44.82 a pop is NOT a plug? Hypocrite.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
This is my closer for almost every show. You can't go wrong with it. A real crowd pleaser! It really depends on the audience on who I force. Its almost always Elvis, MM, or Abe Lincoln. If I'm doing kids its almost always Darth Vader or Elsa, Teenagers I'd do Taylor Swift or Harry Styles.

A few weeks ago I performed a version of name/place and the spectator wrote down Elvis....well, I had Elvis as my force later that night for Phantom Artist. I decided to to do it right there as my reveal for the famous person in name/place. You wanna talk about an extremely strong reaction. No force whatsoever! Lately I've had an index in my case of 4 celebrities almost always written down in either name/place or Q&A routine. I have found the Phantom Artist could be a big closer for Q&A/Message Reading routine if you ask your audience to think of a favorite actor/singer/president (whoever you're trying to force). Its quite likely they will write down one of your indexed celebrities for a stunning finish to your show.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:

And I suppose your advertising your book ECCE LOQUOR at $44.82 a pop is NOT a plug? Hypocrite.

I'm not hawking my stuff on nearly every post... We have signatures for that. Which we both use. So I'm not being a hypocrite. I'm just letting you know constantly shoving your work on every post is a bit too much Smile
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, The_MetalMaster wrote:
I have found the Phantom Artist could be a big closer for Q&A/Message Reading routine if you ask your audience to think of a favorite actor/singer/president (whoever you're trying to force).

You are using this as a closer to q&a? Wow...
I've asked to be banned
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2019, The_MetalMaster wrote:
I have found the Phantom Artist could be a big closer for Q&A/Message Reading routine if you ask your audience to think of a favorite actor/singer/president (whoever you're trying to force).

You are using this as a closer to q&a? Wow...

You could! One of the problems I've always had performing a message reading act is finding a strong way to close it. Its obviously not going to happen every show but you could transition to the PA if one of your audience thinks of one of your force names. If not, I would do like I normally do and just have to force the name for my closing effect.
katarinag
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of katarinag
Update: I ended up sticking with Marilyn and it went brilliantly, but thanks for the tips, I might incorporate Elvis or some others for future performances because it’s nice to mix it up. LOVE the idea of Darth Vader - for certain audiences that would slay!
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, katarinag wrote:
Update: I ended up sticking with Marilyn and it went brilliantly, but thanks for the tips, I might incorporate Elvis or some others for future performances because it’s nice to mix it up. LOVE the idea of Darth Vader - for certain audiences that would slay!

Its a crowd pleaser indeed! I forgot to add The Joker (Heath Ledger version) slays too.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Glad to hear it worked out. I always wondered if a bonus effect could be added. I've seen things where you see a sculpture of something, but when you throw a light on it the shadow cast is of another image. So I wondered if you could have two people pick something. You cut the paper and it reveals one of the images then you shine a light on it and the shadow is of the other image.

I don't know if that's possible, but I'll leave it to the graphics guys here. I can't make a straight line with a ruler! Smile Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question about Annemann's Phantom Artist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL