The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Removing a solid loop of rope during a single rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
At a recent convention, I saw two different magicians perform a rope routine in which an approximately 20" solid loop of rope is magically removed from a single piece rope during each performer's rope routine. I've studied Daryl's rope videos, one by Flip and a couple of variations of the George Sands routine, but this particular sequence or effect was new to me. Since two different magicians performed it, I'm guessing it's fairly well-known, but not to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn more about it?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There are ways

Ungimmicked Methods
Fiber Optics, and I think also in Daryls Expert Rope Magic, and probably others

Gimmicked:
basically 2 methods, but I don't want to explain in an open forum (essentially the same as would be used in a gimmicked cut and restore rope routine

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Thanks John, and maybe I didn't do a good job of describing it, but I'm pretty sure the effect of a small, solid loop (which you can freely show) melting off of a larger rope is not included in either Fiber Optics or Daryl's Rope Magic videos (I've studied both). The idea of a gimmicked method sounds a lot more likely, but without divulging the method (which I can imagine) can you point me to a published version of this in the context of a larger rope routine?
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I have seen one way of accomplishing the effect. It's on a clip of Pavel, a magician I really admired for his creativity and ingenious thinking! You can see it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68zM6L6CbpE
Go to the 2:55 mark.
I'm not sure if it is something that Pavel Magic sell or have published but you can write to them: http://www.pavelmagic.com
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I suspect I was at the same convention as Merenkov, and the effects he mentions were much more impresive than the one in the Pavel clip. I've been doing rope magic for quite a long time, and I have no clue how they did it. Merenkov, you might try contacting the performers themselves and see if they'll give you a tip. I'm still pretty zonked out from lack of sleep, and I can't even remember who both of the two magicians were, but the one I CAN remember is pretty good about sharing.

Murf
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Kanawati, thanks for posting that - Pavel's act is great. As Murf suggests, the effect we saw at this weekend's TAOM convention was slightly different (one can see Pavel's version at around the 3:00 mark in the clip), in that it was done in the context of a longer routine with the same rope, not a one-off effect. I rewatched Oscar's DVD set, in which he teaches two of the rope routines he performed this weekend, but he doesn't teach this particular one, haha. I will reach out to him and see if he might point me in the right direction...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Yup, that clip of Pavel was totaly different from I thought you were asking for - its good that Kanawati was on-board. I don't think Ive seen that effect before!

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Merenkov, you have to remember, you are not going to find the exact routine those performer's did, as that is why they were at the convention performing. They do thing differently. Using material from different sources to create their routines.

If either performer lectured and shared their ideas in lecture notes, or video, at the convention, then that would be your best lead.

Also consider, those two performers could know each other and shared the information with each other.

One last thought, could it be like the Pavel effect, but the 2 performers just used a smaller loop for the way they perform?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just checked it is in Stock at Penguin Magic and a few dollars cheaper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Removing a solid loop of rope during a single rope routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL