The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » REVIEW - Oh So Juicy (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've had Oh so Juicy by Brandon David and Chris Turchi for several weeks. If you've seen the videos, it's a very clever transposition of a pack of gum to 5 sticks (the wrapper just vanishes), or the wrapper can vanish leaving you holding a single stick of gum. It really looks like magic, and the real world effect looks just like the videos. In the package you get a gum gimmick, and an additional piece which will hold the gimmick in place. You need to provide your own gum.The gum package says "Ruicy Fruit", and not Juicy Fruit, but I don't think anyone will ever notice. Tbe instructions are found on a murphys magic website - they provide the web address and the password. A lot of work went into crafting the gimmick, so $30 is a fair price for the trick in my opinion. In the video Chris says he has been using his gimmick for about 4 months and going strong. However, mine did not function right out of the box. Fortunately, they included some of the "magic something" that makes it work, and after about an hour of removing all the stickers and re-threading the unit I got it working. I took it on my next walk-around gig, and did it about 4 times before it broke again. Although the original package included enough stuff to fix the unit, there wasn't enough to fix it again. (PS - there are two sides to the gimmick, the right side broke first - I repaired it. The left side broke during my WA). A fellow Café member came to the rescue and told me where I could buy the repair items on Amazon. I have placed my order and am waiting for it to arrive. As soon as it does, I will fix the unit and put it to the test. I would rate this effect a 4 out of 5. The gimmick, a 2 our of 5. Brandon and company should try every gimmick about a dozen times before shipping it. I think carelessness and being in a hurry to ship product results in units that aren't ready to be shipped. However, if you're a crafty person that doesn't mind do-it-yourself projects, this trick is highly recommended.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Agree Jim. Used mine about 8 times and the one side already broke. I don't know how they say on the tutorial that you probably won't have to repair the gimmick for a long while and that he has been using his for over a year without it breaking! Interesting since majority of people that got this have had the gimmick break already!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'm not an arts and crafts guy and mine broke after a few tries. Neat idea though. Don't know why we can't build a metal hinge that snaps like a mousetrap. Juicy 2.0? Smile
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
That takes it out of the running for me. I think magicians are the only ones who will forgive, fix their own and plow through. Any other item for this price I would return to the store, as many times as necessary.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If they try the gimmick a dozen times before shipping that's dozen fewer times it will work for you.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
cabin fever
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cabin fever
Thanks for the review!!! This one is getting the same bad reviews on penguin for the same thing, it breaks. Doesn't do you any good if it breaks. Love the effect but they need to "fix" that.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I repaired mine using double the gimmick material. I then did two walk around gigs, using the trick about a dozen times. The good news - the repair worked! The bad news - the elastic that holds the end piece on the pack broke. This is a fun effect, but it's not for the pro performer. I have to rate it Not Recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » REVIEW - Oh So Juicy (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL