The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SICK 2 by ponta the Smith? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Themagicguy4
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Themagicguy4
Https://theimpossibleco.com/product/sick-2/

The long awaited SICK 2 is finally out!! Any reviews?

Would like to hear some reviews before picking this up.I Want to know how practical the material is. don’t want another hardcore complete vanish that is really angle sensitive...
Ben Daggers
View Profile
Loyal user
Osaka
238 Posts

Profile of Ben Daggers
Since nobody else has chipped in I thought I'd answer. I may be biased (I'm part of the project and in fact did the voiceover in English), but will try to be as honest as possible.

The content on Sick 2 is MUCH more practical and simple than on Sick 1. That being said, it isn't for total beginners either. It ranges from fairly easy (the new winged silver routine) to very challenging (the final spellbound), with lots in between. Most of it is also much more forgiving angle-wise. PPP can be performed basically surrounded, most other routines are fine for spectators both directly in front and from the sides. Spellbound is wildly impractical both technically and angle-wise, but Ponta says as much himself.

In general, since Ponta does a lot more real-world performing, this is reflected in the new routines. The bits of theory can also be applied to other routines you already do, so there is value even if some of the material isn't to your level or taste.

If you have any specific questions then let me know and I can pass them on to Ponta for you Smile

Ben
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
Themagicguy4, If you're most interested in the complete vanish: From what I could see in the trailer it is angle sensitive AND gravity sensitive. Smile But I didn't press the buy button yet because I don't see any improvement to the routines I already do. But I love to watch the handling of other magicians - especially if they are skillful like Ponta. I struggle with myself if it's worth the 30 bucks. Smile
Themagicguy4
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Themagicguy4
That’s so cool Ben!

“Gravity sensitive” lol. And yeah I agree with Frittentick, there doesn’t seem to be much new improvements here. There are a lots of coin across out there, some I think even cleaner than the traditional 3 coins across. The spellbound is basically a show off of techniques. The ending to the three fly from what I see in the trailer has been done before, by Lawerence Gordon( probably spelt his name wrong) The PPP and homing coin sounds kinda interesting. What is the homing coin anyways?
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
PPP is quite easy to do cause that is basic ring and string handling. It is interesting for magicians cause no gimmick or additional coin is in play. CCC ends in spectators hands and PPP cannot beat that.

Homing coin is nice but you'll need a very good handling of a move known from winged silver. That move is used in more routines of Sick 2 and it seems it's a favourite of Ponta. Rune Klan describes a different handling of that move if you struggle. And I bet many will struggle. Smile
Ben Daggers
View Profile
Loyal user
Osaka
238 Posts

Profile of Ben Daggers
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, Frittentick wrote:
PPP is quite easy to do cause that is basic ring and string handling. It is interesting for magicians cause no gimmick or additional coin is in play. CCC ends in spectators hands and PPP cannot beat that.

Actually it can. In the full download Ponta's finale is a penetration of all 3 coins at once in the spectator's hand. And it's brilliant.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, Themagicguy4 wrote:
The ending to the three fly from what I see in the trailer has been done before, by Lawerence Gordon( probably spelt his name wrong)

Lawrens Godon Smile

Just out of curiosity, did Ponta credit my work about the ending of 3-fly ?

Thank you.
Ben Daggers
View Profile
Loyal user
Osaka
238 Posts

Profile of Ben Daggers
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2019, Lawrens Godon wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, Themagicguy4 wrote:
The ending to the three fly from what I see in the trailer has been done before, by Lawerence Gordon( probably spelt his name wrong)

Lawrens Godon Smile

Just out of curiosity, did Ponta credit my work about the ending of 3-fly ?

Thank you.

Yes, it is all credited to you, both in the explanation and also the written credits at the end Smile
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2019, Ben Daggers wrote:
Yes, it is all credited to you, both in the explanation and also the written credits at the end Smile

Glad to hear that !
Thank you Ponta.

DBTP is really nice as a solution for the final coin Smile
Funnily enough, I use Ponta's move for the last coin in my latest version of 3-fly (I just added a bit of Harada hold to it ^^) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRgWwxwdVfk
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
I bought Sick 2 and like to share some thoughts. Like I said before the undercover spread is one of Ponta's favorites. Out of the seven routines in Sick 2, four make use of the undercover spread.
3 fly: At two points this routine gets angle sensitive. The steals and clean up are looking a little bit fishy.
3 coins across: Nice false count. Smart moves to become 2 ahead. Strong routine and especially the 2 ahead is worth to learn and adapt to routines you already do.
Winged Silver: My favorite from Sick 1. This new version ends in spectators hands and makes use of a 2 ahead which gives the routine a twist compared to the old one.
Homing Coin: Not difficult to do, nice effect. What if you adapt this to Curtis Cam's "The Goblet" or other routines? There is a lot of potential.
PPP: 3 coins penetrate a ribbon and end in spectators hands. From spectators view the same as CCC.
Vanish: Easy to do but it has bad angles.
Spellbound: Ponta says himself this routine is impractical and more a creative and technical exercise. Like any other spellbound people know there are two coins in play but you only see one at a time. However, it's no magic but like juggling even lay people will appreciate this.

I think this DVD is even for magicians with basic knowledge of coin work. They'll find practical and solid routines. I do a lot of coin work and for me there is no mind blowing new stuff. But there are many good ideas and concepts which made me thinking and maybe I'll add something to my routines. This was worth for me the price of this DVD. Thumbs up to Ponta the Smith and Sick 2!
Ben Daggers
View Profile
Loyal user
Osaka
238 Posts

Profile of Ben Daggers
Here is a review I stumbled across on youtube for those who are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCasJwom0o
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
To be clear, is "SICK 2" the same thing as or very similar to, "Secret Volume 2 - Ponta the Smith" or is it something very different?
Both list Three-Fly, Three Coins Across and Homing Coin. Also, "Clipped Wings," might be a version of Winged Silver?
Can someone with knowledge of both clarify the differences between these two offerings?
Thank you!
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
The handlings are sleightly different on the new Sick 2 from Secret volume 2 - Ponta the Smith.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SICK 2 by ponta the Smith? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL