The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Interest in Over the Phone Radio Type Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
In the last decade or so I've put together quite a few Over the Phone, Radio Type Magic. I've performed them for millions of people on air. More than anyone I know of. Even David Copperfield bought one from me...I've been asked to write a book about these and the series of NEW effects I'm currently working on. I'd like to do it but these internet pirates seem unbeatable. Is there a way to do this and keep the secrets actually fairly secret? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2709 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
There is. Become a pirate yourself. Kill all the people that buy it as soon as you have the money.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
If you sell it as a PDF, you can manually include the name/e-mail address of the buyer into the document. There might be an automated way of doing it. This is a deterent used for instance by Luke Jermay.
Another way is, of course, to limit your sales to a selected few buyers you trust.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Slim how's the craic? Apologies a bit unrelated but I listened to quick snippet from your interview on CoasttoCoast - you came across really well. Looking forward to listening to the full interview over the next few days! Was good to put a voice to the legend!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Last year I did some radio magic with George .. We didn't have time this year.. They want me on as a regular. I have sent the shows producer a HooDoo Box. She and I will be doing effects over the phone and deciding which ones are a good fit for the show. They have 2.7 million weekly listeners. This is a dream of mine coming true. I'm retiring from Universal so I'll have more time for RADIO MAGIC and I'd like to share but I'm not sure it's possible. I was thinking of a one on one telephone call system. That way I'd know who resold any recording. Just a thought. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Put me on the list to buy whatever you put out. The first few DVD's you released were pure gold. And of course who doesn't like pizza and rum?
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Release a physical book, less changes of pirating it. Btw... you may want to check Juan Tamariz's book in Verbal Magic, those are the effects he did in Spanish radio for long time. You may not want to use any of those, but they may spark ideas.

Marc
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, marc_carrion wrote:
Release a physical book, less changes of pirating it. Btw... you may want to check Juan Tamariz's book in Verbal Magic, those are the effects he did in Spanish radio for long time. You may not want to use any of those, but they may spark ideas.

Marc

Yes.. I have that book. I've never used anything out of it. I will be reviewing it again this time around. Before he passed over Martin Gardner was helping me. I purchased an new book the other day and low and behold Martin had written the forward. So maybe there is something in there that may spark a fire of creativity!!! Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Put me on the list to buy whatever you put out. The first few DVD's you released were pure gold. And of course who doesn't like pizza and rum?

Back in the day I was a Captain Morgans kind of rum drinker. Then I switched to Admiral Nelson (I must have been broke) Then to Sailor Jerry's.. Now I'm back to Captain Morgans again .. So maybe the Spirits are going my way !!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Once it's a pdf or an ebook it's being sold for ninety nine cents on a pirate site within the hour. If you want to keep your work exclusive, it has to be printed words. Preferably hard cover in a short run for silly money.

Sorry, but I know no better way.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, Djin wrote:
Once it's a pdf or an ebook it's being sold for ninety nine cents on a pirate site within the hour. If you want to keep your work exclusive, it has to be printed words. Preferably hard cover in a short run for silly money.

Sorry, but I know no better way.

Thanks!!!! Exclusive .. Financially inhibitive... Restricted release.
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
Slim,

I may be wrong, but I think that your pal Jim Callahan did an awesome job of getting his work out there and then keeping it relatively exclusive. I am fortunate to have some of Jim's material, so I know how great it is. Also, I rarely (if ever) see it second-hand anywhere. It is on my "bucket list" to meet that guy some time.

Frank
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, boboswitch wrote:
Slim,

I may be wrong, but I think that your pal Jim Callahan did an awesome job of getting his work out there and then keeping it relatively exclusive. I am fortunate to have some of Jim's material, so I know how great it is. Also, I rarely (if ever) see it second-hand anywhere. It is on my "bucket list" to meet that guy some time.

Frank

Yes .. Jim worked his ass off keeping the secrets secret .. That's why to THIS DAY no one has been able to logically explain what he did on Phenomenon! I hope you do see him. Bring Gin!!!
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I think oversized-books may be a bit of a deterrent as well (like Otiz Card-shark).
If it doesn't scan clean on a standard copier it may be too much trouble to pirate.

Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
Slim,

Frank

Yes .. Jim worked his ass off keeping the secrets secret .. That's why to THIS DAY no one has been able to logically explain what he did on Phenomenon! I hope you do see him. Bring Gin!!!

I miss Jim. I wish I had been able to buy more of his work. Brilliant guy.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, Waters. wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
Slim,

Frank

I miss Jim. I wish I had been able to buy more of his work. Brilliant guy.

I honestly think he's found some stuff so real he's scared to share it.... Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I would be very interested if whatever you release!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm trying to stay totally organic. Move away from any apps or electronic trickery. Rereading all the old stuff .. Remembering thing I'd forgotten .. Even some real good ones. Time to start over.. re-turn the pages and get inspired. I'm mostly working on more one on one effects for personal amazement. Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Definitely interested too! In addition to effects, it would be great to learn your approach to getting on radio shows.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes .. It should be a package deal..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Interest in Over the Phone Radio Type Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL