The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the BEST trick you have learned from YOUTUBE? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
I've watched an inordinate amount of magic performances these days and I learn more from watching professional and non professional magicians performing than watching anything else!
It was indeed youtube that I used to watch those performances on. And wow was it useful!
Not every magic video on YouTube is a spotty schoolkid exposing something for youtube cash -or hoping to get that elusive cash!- whilst filming their crotch and hardly being capable of an overhand shuffle.
Don't get me wrong, I HATE those and the way these idiot kids won't even bother to practise the thing they are trying to teach. And I don't mean the ones teaching magic effects that are currently on sale. I mean the ones trying to teach things that are already known by the masses...royal road tricks, stuff like that. The fact that they wont even take the time to learn such basics properly before rushing to youtube tells me enough about them that I am already wanting to avoid them before I even see it.
But let us not forget that there is a huge amount of VERY USEFUL and LEGALLY VIEWABLE video on there too! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Smile

Our very own Mr Hadyn for one Smile
Smile
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Considering the "exposure" conversation is about as old as magic itself, I'd say it's less the forum and more the topic. Lest we forget the definition of insanity.

Why can't we just accept reality and move magic in exciting new directions?

IF you can get past all that idle chatter.😉 Whew! He can ramble on.🤪
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, HofzinsersFan wrote:
I've watched an inordinate amount of magic performances these days and I learn more from watching professional and non professional magicians performing than watching anything else!
It was indeed youtube that I used to watch those performances on. And wow was it useful!
Not every magic video on YouTube is a spotty schoolkid exposing something for youtube cash -or hoping to get that elusive cash!- whilst filming their crotch and hardly being capable of an overhand shuffle.
Don't get me wrong, I HATE those and the way these idiot kids won't even bother to practise the thing they are trying to teach. And I don't mean the ones teaching magic effects that are currently on sale. I mean the ones trying to teach things that are already known by the masses...royal road tricks, stuff like that. The fact that they wont even take the time to learn such basics properly before rushing to youtube tells me enough about them that I am already wanting to avoid them before I even see it.
But let us not forget that there is a huge amount of VERY USEFUL and LEGALLY VIEWABLE video on there too! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Smile

Our very own Mr Hadyn for one Smile
Smile

I agree. Maybe those who've had or have exposure to more professionally skilled performers, with their honed eye for detail and nuance can easily see the faults and failures more readily.

Whether I'm learning from a book or video, I'm first looking at overall mechanics, to get a sense of beginning, middle and end. Then as I continue to practice I start whittling down to the details, and subtleties.

Performers who have reached such a high level of unconscious proficiency can often leave out, or fail to mention these subtleties whether in magic or sports. They no longer recall the humps they had to overcome. In slowing down a video of a highly revered worker, I found he wasn't doing what he said he was doing and was leaving out details, which upon my discovery, made the slight far more accessible.

Back to youtube...
because some of these posters are new to a move or still practicing (I said SOME) you get insights into what they've been struggling with as newbies to the move, and/or a slightly different take on a move that can be very helpful, sort of like culling the wheat from the chaff and can be like viewing a companion who is working on the same move you are.

There are also some very adept and name recognizable (yes, I know, sometimes name does not equal proficiency) who often share their teachings and tricks.

Viewing tutorials on youtube. can be much like buying leraning material. There. are loads of releases out there that are seen as poor and deceptive and not worthy of purchase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is the BEST trick you have learned from YOUTUBE? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL