The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Educational magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Boatinggranddad
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Boatinggranddad
There must be many people here in the Café who , as teachers, use magic in the classroom to introduce or even reinforce an educational topic. If you are such a person I wonder if you could name any trick you do and how you use it educationally
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Don't think this is the best place to post this as this section pertains to mentlaism
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Hi Boat. Weird is right, you have the wrong part of the Café. That said, I was a classroom teacher for many years during which time I used magic in the classroom nearly every day. I also ran numerous professional development workshops for teachers on using magic in the classroom. Drop me a line and we can discuss it. Cheers.

Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
20 years of educational magic shows to inspire children to read. No more.
abbsy73
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of abbsy73
I was shocked this year to hear that none of my high school interns had ever seen a live magic trick. I brought in a VERY modest cups and balls routine and blew all their minds with a story about how the skills you learn keep popping up and never go away, ending with the seeds we plant in our program bearing larger and larger fruit as time goes on.

I think it doesn't really matter what tricks you do, so much as how you relate it to their lives and experience.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2019, Boatinggranddad wrote:
There must be many people here in the Café who , as teachers, use magic in the classroom to introduce or even reinforce an educational topic. If you are such a person I wonder if you could name any trick you do and how you use it educationally

I advise you post this in The Little Darlings forum: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......7&179205 We discuss topics like this dealing with educational, motivational and inspirational magic for students.

Here is something I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckBLZFiEuUM

What tricks do you have right now?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1340 Posts

Profile of imgic
Actually, there's a whole series of books "Tricks for Trainers" in which author lists various tricks and how they can be used in corporate and classroom training.

Lybrary.com has them:

https://www.lybrary.com/tricks-for-train......846.html
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1340 Posts

Profile of imgic
Though bit of advice...

I do a lot of training. In past I'd do tricks to illustrate a point, thinking it a clever way to get class' interested and get them to remember the point. But found out, they remembered the trick (or that I did magic of some sort) but not the lesson or point I was making.

So I've come to conclusion, that for me, magic's not the best tool for teaching.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, imgic wrote:
Though bit of advice...

I do a lot of training. In past I'd do tricks to illustrate a point, thinking it a clever way to get class' interested and get them to remember the point. But found out, they remembered the trick (or that I did magic of some sort) but not the lesson or point I was making.

You are not alone. I have been on several regional and national PTA, PTSA, PTO and Principal Association boards and this perspective is quite prominent among school assembly shows and towards magicians these days. The "Reading Is Magic" or "The Magic of Science" type of shows have been cut or shelved for just these very reasons. The emphasis and takewaways is often the magic rather than the message, cirriculim or educational content. Some outright are refusing to book and magicians or magic-based presentations primarily because of this and many magician's mindsets and approach.

As far as in the classrrom, many students have not experienced live magic, and unfortuenately most teachers perform it poorly or amaturally with the emphasis on the magic or on themselves rather than on it's perhaps intended purpose or how it could be best utilized. They attract more attention to the "how" or create a challenge with students rather than the often desired point, message or takeaway.

Yeah, if all you are interetsed in is "tricks" then Little Darlings may be for you as unfortuantely that is all they want to discuss there.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Meant curriculum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Educational magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL